Grainfather connect - new control unit

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Re: Grainfather connect - new control unit

Post by sladeywadey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:15 pm

still struggling to think when I would need the pump to be 'controlled' with my brewing.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:14 pm

sladeywadey wrote:still struggling to think when I would need the pump to be 'controlled' with my brewing.
My thoughts are, you don't really. It would just be to save you walking over and flicking a switch :) I thought I'd try it to see how well it worked, but as I said in my post above, there are things about a manual control that I like and I may well leave it that way.
Best wishes

Dave

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:44 am

Recently had an update on this from GF. Apparently the new controller will be capable of programmed step mashes, hop (and other things) addition alarms and 'much more' - their words, not mine. In other words it should bring the GF much more closely aligned with BM's functionality. Also element control will be via pulsed cycle, i.e. varying the on/off cycle. I'm not sure I like that idea as I was programming the flashed STC 1000 to do that and was getting scorching of wort on my element, requiring 4 hour soaks in PBW. They would not tell me what the proposed retail price will be, but as long as it isn't ridiculous it might be worth considering.
Best wishes

Dave

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:14 pm

I'm also patiently waiting on the cost before making a decision. Especially as my grainfather is only 10 brews young an upgrade may not be worth the expense.

Think that update email also mentioned improvements to the app that sounded promising.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:16 pm

It would be a complete waste of money as far as I'm concerned, dont do step mashes but if I did just re setting the temps manually would be fine with me.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:41 pm

having played about with a few brewery controllers I sometimes think all the bells n whistles are little more than extra work to setup to replace a simple pen /printer n paper list and a kitchen timer, unless the troller has the ability to import the information directly from your chosen recipe compiling s/w if you use any, the pen n paper step is still probably necessary to compile the input data for the troller and you may as well twist a simple kitchen timer for each step as you go than upteen button presses and the backtracking when errors are made on a small controller interface ;)

fun to play with however if your so inclined..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:02 am

Fil wrote:
fun to play with however if your so inclined..
I think that's it really. Like you I currently am using the flashed STC 1000, which is quite nice albeit the display is a little esoteric. One thing I've had with it so far though is burnt on wort on the element when the on/off cycle is less than 100%. I've now reverted to 100% on all output settings and use the manual 500/2kW element switch and the scorching has stopped. So hearing that the new controller also uses variable element settings doesn't fill me with confidence.
Best wishes

Dave

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Interesting that you are getting burnt wort issues, Dave. When mashing, I have my STC set to 40% output and this seems to be fine for me.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:49 pm

sladeywadey wrote:Interesting that you are getting burnt wort issues, Dave. When mashing, I have my STC set to 40% output and this seems to be fine for me.
Yes, I did two brews with duty cycles of between 40 and 60%, (can't quite remember exactly) and both times there was significant scorching on the element plate. Had to do a 4 hour soak in PBW to get it off. With the last brew I reset all outputs to 100% and there was no scorching, just the usual bit of sludge which came off easily. Are you leaving the manual switch set to the 2kW element throughout? And what do you have the period set to (up to 20 secs)?
Best wishes

Dave

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Just mashing right now - 40% power output and switch is on full power. Not sure what you mean by the period setting?

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:03 pm

sladeywadey wrote:Just mashing right now - 40% power output and switch is on full power. Not sure what you mean by the period setting?
Yes it's Pd - Set heating period interval, 1 to 20 seconds. He does mention this in his write up as possibly causing pulsating boil and scorching during Mashing. I've currently got it set to the maximum of 20 secs.
Best wishes

Dave

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:09 pm

don't think I have pd on my STC1000 version - certainly something I've never purposely set. I'll have a look later. I forgot to take a pic but again, on 40% power, I got no burnt on deposits.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:51 am

sladeywadey wrote:don't think I have pd on my STC1000 version - certainly something I've never purposely set. I'll have a look later. I forgot to take a pic but again, on 40% power, I got no burnt on deposits.
When you find it, (I'm sure it's there :) ) let me know what it's set to so I can emulate your settings to see if I still get scorching - or not.
Best wishes

Dave