beersmith mash profile

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
paulg

beersmith mash profile

Post by paulg » Fri May 02, 2014 12:05 pm

while waiting for my bm to arrive I am trying to get my head around beersmith software.
thanks to barneey who sent me his equipment profile.now I am exploring mash profiles ,I brew english beers bitters/milds mainly I previously mashed at 66 or 67 depended on the beer.
with the ability to step mash do people use one of the preprogrammed mash profiles in beersmith or make a new profile of their own ,if a new one perhaps someone would like to share them with me.

thanks
Paul

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: beersmith mash profile

Post by DeGarre » Fri May 02, 2014 4:52 pm

I use Beer Engine's formulas on a spreadsheet and mash schedules I find in books, websites, forums, etc.

Lately I've been using this which I found at braukaiser.com (non-decoction Hochkurz):

mash in at 55
1. 20mins at 63
2. 20mins at 63
3. 20mins at 70
4. 30mins at 70
5. 15mins at 77

It's actually a long one despite the name and I get 90+ mash efficiency with it + malty full-bodied beer (4% feels like 5%).

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Fri May 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Paul,

I`ve emailed you a few profiles for BS, mainly wheat ones.

Have a play with those.

My suggestion if when you get the BM , brew a wheat beer + go for a complex mash profile, you will then learn a lot very quickly about using the BM / BS2.

Have Fun
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

paulg

Post by paulg » Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 am

thanks barneey
unfortunately I am a died in the wool english real ale man ,bitters,milds and porters so will probably brew a bitter of some sort.

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Sat May 03, 2014 7:39 am

paulg wrote:thanks barneey
unfortunately I am a died in the wool english real ale man ,bitters,milds and porters so will probably brew a bitter of some sort.
mash in at 55
1. 20mins at 66
2. 20mins at 66
3. 20mins at 66
4. 20mins at 66
5. 15mins at 77

paulg

Post by paulg » Sun May 04, 2014 7:49 am

degarre
basically that is how I was brewing before 66c or 67c depending on fermability and body requirements
Paul
just found your site ,that should give me ideas for mash profiles from your recipes listed

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Sun May 04, 2014 9:15 am

Paul, most often there is very little original thought or science why I use a certain mash schedule, except for hefeweizens and saisons. The hochkurz one I have been using a lot this year I like a lot because of full bodied beers and high mash efficiency. But it is so easy to have a fancy and convoluted mash schedule with BM!