50 litre BM questions

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
paulg

50 litre BM questions

Post by paulg » Mon May 12, 2014 8:37 pm

so I have decided to buy a 50 litre BM not the 20 litre as first thought.
my question is what is the minimum amount of liquor and grain required with the standard malt pipe.
If I was to brew a mild og 1.035 OG grain bill 3.75 kilos for 25 litres brew length how much will I need to scale it up to, if I was to brew with no sparging.I realise that the efficience may suffer.
I plan to buy a 25 litre malt pipe when funds allow next month.

BrewerBen

Re: 50 litre BM questions

Post by BrewerBen » Sat May 24, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi, I have a 50L braumeister although i've not yet used the 50L malt pipe as I've just been using the 25L (only 3 brews so far) but have been playing around with recipe's on beersmith so this is just a guesstimate.
I'm assuming the minimum amount of water for the large malt pipe is 45L which is the 3rd marking on the pole used to clamp the malt pipe. You may be able to go with less but it will be a case off experimenting by adding water until the element is covered. I did also see a suggestion on a forum about disconnecting the outer heating elements then you just need to make sure the pumps don't run dry but again i have not tried this.
I'm using a bitter recipe I've just tried which i'm scaling so if i mash in 4.72kg of grain using the starting 45L i believe you'd end up with 32 litre's in the fermenter at 1.035.

The 3 brews i have done withe the 25L malt pipe have ended up as follows:

Amber Ale: 30L mash in, 4.82KG grain 4L sparge, 23L into fermenter, OG 1.047.
Butser Bitter: 30L mash in, 4.42KG grain,12L Sparge,30L into fermenter, OG 1.036.
Wheat Beer: 27.5 mash in,5.00KG grain, 10L sparge,25L into fermenter,OG 1.044 (missed target should have been 1.047)

Ive pretty much hit the target's on all but on the wheat beer i missed the OG (i alway's missed the OG on the older cool box system with wheat beers too). I believe that this system is much more flexible than it first appears and by adjusting the mash in and sparge volume you can adjust the amount you end up in the fermenter by quite a lot. This is until you brew bigger beers though and hit the maximum grain capacity then i think you a bit more limited. I'm still learning about this system so am not a expert but i am pretty pleased with it so far.