domed lid

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
beerlover1983

domed lid

Post by beerlover1983 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Im really setting my sights on getting a 20l braumeister and getting rid of my 3 pot system.Ive seen that you can get the domed lids for the unit and even some forums where people have made their own.

Im curious if i had such a lid on a braumeister with some sort of ducting hose attatched while it was boiling and ran it out the window.Would that work or would i still risk dms in the boil ?

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: domed lid

Post by barneey » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:31 am

Open window + point a desk fan at boiler = save money.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:40 am

+1 for the fan!

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:23 am

beerlover1983 wrote:Im really setting my sights on getting a 20l braumeister and getting rid of my 3 pot system.Ive seen that you can get the domed lids for the unit and even some forums where people have made their own.

Im curious if i had such a lid on a braumeister with some sort of ducting hose attatched while it was boiling and ran it out the window.Would that work or would i still risk dms in the boil ?
Have look at this. It really works well no steam filled brewhouse.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

paulg

Post by paulg » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:35 am

ipa
I like that ,you dont have any problems with condensation running back down the aluminium pipe before the fan do you?
I need to do something when my BM arrives as I currently have a metal bodied 6" extractor fan in the wall of my workshop and

1) it doesnt extract particularly well,I still get steam build up in the room

2) after a while during the boil I get a build up of condensation within the fan resulting in a steady drip ,drip onto the table located below the fan

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:54 am

paulg wrote:ipa
I like that ,you dont have any problems with condensation running back down the aluminium pipe before the fan do you?
I need to do something when my BM arrives as I currently have a metal bodied 6" extractor fan in the wall of my workshop and

1) it doesnt extract particularly well,I still get steam build up in the room

2) after a while during the boil I get a build up of condensation within the fan resulting in a steady drip ,drip onto the table located below the fan

I don't have a problem with condensation while the fan is running but when I lift the extract pipe off of the BM I quickly point it at the sink and some runs out into it. It's very important to have a small gap between the pipe and the fan otherwise it will not extract properly. Like you when I had just the extractor and no pipe the room was always full of steam. Plus with the hood the boil is is better and you do not get a boil over after adding the hops.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks chaps very helpful