baumeister mash schedule

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
paulg

baumeister mash schedule

Post by paulg » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:15 pm

I was sent some mash schedules to use with the BM

one full bodied and one light bodied and one for wheat beer,my question
for a bitter which one do I use ,also for a mild and for a porter.
my only previous mash schedule was at 66c or 67 c for 90 minutes 66c giving a more fermentable wort for a bitter and 67c for a mild in a BIAB setup.
I should collect my braumeister 50litre on tuesday and plan to get a brew on asap
I realise I could continue with that but assume one of the more complex schedules is better
I brew exclusively english beers destined for a pin cask

Invalid Stout

Re: baumeister mash schedule

Post by Invalid Stout » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:14 pm

It's not necessarily better. The schedules come from Speidel, right? They will have been developed by German brewers, who are devoted to their stepped mashes. If you want to carry on doing a single-temperature infusion go right ahead.

beer today
Hollow Legs

Post by beer today » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:54 am

why do we not advocate stepped mashes, is it to do with the our malting process being different to theirs ?

MashTim
Piss Artist

Post by MashTim » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Whilst it not strictly necessary for English ales, a stepped mash does give you more finer control over your wort fermentability, so you can tweak the finished product with the aid of stepped mashes, I think my beers are better for 2 steps at 63C and 71C than a single step and you can adjust the times at each step to suit also. Now I say my beers are better for it, but there are so many other variables that you will need to brew alot of the same recipe to start to determine differences, however the Braumeister makes it easy to do the step mashes that the question really is 'why not step mash?'

Continental styles do benefit because some high alcohol styles need the fermentability without losing too much mouthfeel, being able to control the mash this way is a great benefit because you can exploit all the grains have to offer in terms of sugar composition.

MashTim
Piss Artist

Post by MashTim » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:03 pm

beer today wrote:why do we not advocate stepped mashes, is it to do with the our malting process being different to theirs ?
If you are using low modified malts or wheat then stepped mashes with protein rests are needed to get the most from these malts - Bohemian Pilsner being an example or any wheat beer. Otherwise most continental malts are just as highly modified as our own.