50L short malt pipe capacity.

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Has anyone pushed the grain capacity of the short malt pipe in the 50L braumeister?

I have a Belgian blonde planned and i may have been a bit to optimistic thinking i can squeeze 6KG of grain in there. I have heard of people getting 6kg in the 20L braumeister but not found much on th 50L with 25L malt pipe.

I've just brewed a wheat beer with 5kg and its hard to think that i could get any more in there:

MashTim
Piss Artist

Re: 50L short malt pipe capacity.

Post by MashTim » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:59 pm

I've gone to just over 6Kg but it's on the limit.

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Thats good to hear, ill give it a go. I'm either doing a porter or the Belgian blonde next but i will post the brewday and report how it goes. I rarely brew beers this big and didn't want to bother with double mashing so would have reduced the grain bill if i had to.

MashTim
Piss Artist

Post by MashTim » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:45 pm

BrewerBen wrote:Thats good to hear, ill give it a go. I'm either doing a porter or the Belgian blonde next but i will post the brewday and report how it goes. I rarely brew beers this big and didn't want to bother with double mashing so would have reduced the grain bill if i had to.
Something else you can try is to steep any adjuncts separately to the main mash leaving space in the pipe for more diastatic malt or just a reserve of space. Then add the steep liquid in the boil.

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Just thought id post a little mishap i had today. I was going to brew a porter with 5.23kg of grain, shouldn't have been too much of a problem however i could not get the top filter squashed down enough to get the malt pipe locked down and couldn't figure out why. In the end i turned it upside town and put a small spacer between the cross bar and the filter to try and get more space. Once clamped down i then struggled to get the malt pipe to seal but managed to get some flow through the particularly dense grain bed.
Once it got going i had a moment to try to figure out what was going on and it turns out a 2 kg bag of malt i had was in fact 3kg giving me a 6.23 KG grain bill. So instead of a planned OG of around 1.045 for a 27L batch i ended up 26 litres of 1.054. I largely winged it so my water additions weren't quite right and the overly packed malt pipe dropped my efficiency. Unfortunately with the top filter on upside down i then couldn't take it off to stir the malt to try and get a slightly higher efficiency as i had nothing to grip on too.

Still the upside is turning the top filter plate upside down with the small spacer between it and the cross bar worked well and would be better if i can figure out how to get it out mid brew to stir the malt. I'd happily brew with 6 kg grain bill using this method however i don't think i'd go any higher.

The downside is my planned Belgian blonde is now 1kg short of grain