Simple Question

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
crookedeyeboy

Simple Question

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Bit of a no brainer this one but I wanted to ask the people who have the 50lt version:

Can you do any size brew in between 20 and 50lts or does it have to be 20 and 50lt brews?

Similarly, due to the fact you can fit at least 12kg of grain in the 50lt one that you can do smaller high alcohol beers in it?
Thanks

MashTim
Piss Artist

Re: Simple Question

Post by MashTim » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:30 pm

Yes & yes. I normally brew around a 42-44L batch (I've gone as low as 37L by miscalculating vols). I'm not sure how low you can go with the 50L malt pipe, it really depends on the grain bill, one technique is to disconnect the outer heating element and as long as liquid flows over the top of the malt pipe and provides a few mm of cover on the base then you're good to go.

I guess you can go as low as 30L batch with the 50L malt pipe.

With either the 20L or 50L malt pipe you can mash with liquid higher than the top of the malt pipe providing more volume, so anything between 20-50+L is theoretically possible.

There is a wealth of info about these ideas & techniques over on braumeisters.net

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks Mashtim ill go have a read!

paulg

Post by paulg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:40 am

did a brew a couple of weeks ago ,mashed in 43 litres and 11 kilos grain in the large malt pipe of 50 litre BM.
did an extended boil and ended up with about 25 litres ,racked of 23 to fermenter and left 2 litres as trub.