Braumeister & pre-crushed malt

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:57 pm

I'm currently waiting for my 20L BM to be delivered and am planning for my first brew.

Reading the forums, however, I've noticed that the BM is sensitive to the coarseness of the grain crush and many people have started to crush their own to prevent "fountains".

I normally buy mine pre-crushed from TheHomebrewShop and was just wondering if anybody else her uses this supplier for their BM brews. I don't want the extra expense at the moment of buying a crusher.

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Braumeister & pre-crushed malt

Post by oz11 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Doesn't directly answer your question but I use Crisps malt which is readily available to homebrewers. I have only had fountains once, out of about 8 brews, when I used a little less than 3.5kg of grain. Now if making a small beer I push the grain bill to at least 4kg and increase the brew length accordingly.

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:07 pm

ive use the crushed grain from the homebrewshop and the malt miller withut an issue in the BM. The malt miller will adjust the crush if you ask, but i didnt notice the difference when i gave it a go. I've not done ahuge number of brews on the BM but I've not seen a wort fountain yet, even with a over filled malt pipe.

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks Chaps,

I'll go with what I always use and see how it goes. Good point about it being worse for small beers as I have read that too. I'm pretty boring and always go for beers of about 5% so should be okay. :)

pduk
Steady Drinker

Post by pduk » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:28 pm

Just to add to this, I've had zero problems with Malt Miller crushed malt for about 15 brews so far... I don't do ultra high gravity brews mind, about 6kg malt is the max for me in a 20L BM.

Killick Greenie

Post by Killick Greenie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:16 pm

I always use Malt Miller and had no problems at all.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 am

It is very important to thoroughly mix the grain in the liquor before fitting the filters, so there are no dry clumps as it these that cause fountains.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:12 pm

I did my first brew last week (using pre-crushed malt) and it went fine. I took my time adding the grains, stirring well as I went, and did a 10 minute rest at 40c.
No problems :-)

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Well I brewed in my BM today. All set on auto pilot! Came in after 30 min and there was wort everywhere. The pipe had dislodged and I ended up with malt grains in the wort. I'm presuming I have suffered my first fountain? I'd never heard of that before. Interestingly I was using my first batch of crisp ale malt from the malt Miller. I must admit I didn't stir the mash today. I'm not sure if I ever do though? I will next time. I've completed the brew anyway (with pump off) there was a lot of debris obviously but I'll see how it turns out. After all it still tastes of sweet sugars and bitter hops. :-)

paulg

Post by paulg » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:33 pm

chris what do you mean the pipe had dislodged?
I have only had a wort fountain once and what happens is wort squirts up out of the malt pipe but the grain and filters remain in place.

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:46 am

I may have inadvertently had the rubber seal kinked. To be honest I was elsewhere and the brew was going on in the garage so I didn't see the moment it happens just the aftermath. I wasn't blaming the malt Miller product either. More likely brewer error!

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:12 pm

A quick FWIW: the brew tastes like crap and is going down the drain!

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:06 pm

I may have spoke too soon:

I didnt notice any fountains but the BM struggled to get the wort flowing. This brew was 50% wheat, 41% Pilsner and 9% Cara Amber. The Pilsner did seem a lot finer than usual and more flourery. Maybe it was from the bottom of the bag:

Here's a pic of the pilsner does it seem like a fine crush to you guys?

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:40 pm

I couldn't say. I know sometimes there is more "fine" stuff than "course" but I'm not totally sure how much that matters. FWIW I've since done another brew with the same MM's British ale malt and it's absolutely bloody delicious.
I'd advise a good 5 minute stir when you add the malt.