My BM has arrived... you can afford one too!!

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Wezzel

Re: My BM has arrived... you can afford one too!!

Post by Wezzel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:13 am

I too made some fine beers using a 3v system but found the storage, setting up, cleaning and general faffing around with bits of tubing and pumps to be a pain in the arse. I appreciate that to many this is the bit they enjoy but I wanted to concentrate on the recipes and the all the faffing was putting me off brewing.

I bought the BM as a reward for clearing my mortgage and only because I could afford it. If I was struggling for cash I would still be wrestling with the 3v.

Having said that the BM is a fabulous bit of kit and a pleasure to use. Today I ordered the short malt pipe from Niels so I can brew little and often to experience some variety.

Another's positive note is the very high resale value. If you buy one but don't get on with it for whatever reason you are not going to lose much in reselling.

niels

Post by niels » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:26 am

Since I couldn't get the idea out of my mind that I would be part of someones home burning down I contacted Speidel.

This is the reply I got of Ralf when I asked if the cable of a Braumeister is "hot rated":

"You can use any C13 or C19 cable. We do not reach more than 60°C at the environment around the cable."

I hope this helps other sourcing for a UK power cable for their Braumeister 10/20 (C13) or Braumeister 50 (C19).

- Niels

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:47 am

chris172 wrote: I am sorry that Niels felt the need to come on here to defend himself in what was simply a smear. As for the cable, it's plugged into a computerised controller so doesn't have to be hot... Just like a PC. Baring in mind his shop is in Belgium so hasn't got access to a Maplins and the like and I think he explained it as it should have been assumed to the OP.... how much would an EU plug/kettle lead cost here?

Why all the animosity all of a sudden on what has been such a friendly forum.
There's no animosity on my part, what a shame other people feel that way. I said "take care", then when I was put right over not needing a hot condition lead my immediate response was "fair enough".

I reject the accusation it was a smear. Looking at an item with a price 300% higher than elsewhere I honestly thought maybe there was something special/customised? The description doesn't state anything special and looking at the picture I concluded there wasn't.

For a standard computer power lead, there are a couple of honest (i.e. this is not a smear) possibilities:
  • the item is overpriced for the UK market but I'm sure many customers would still go for the convenience and buy it anyway when making their big initial order. "This is just a standard computer lead" in the description would reassure other customers they not compromising their safety if they use their own computer lead from the desktop in the loft or whatever.
  • The price is wrong, it's a web site error. This does happen e.g. I'll "stick my neck out" again and ask if the Braumeister 50L takes a long time to come to the boil with a 1000W heating coil as the 10L is 1000W and the 20L is 2000W?
I can scatter a few winky smilies if that helps.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

niels

Post by niels » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:55 am

[quote="vacant"]This does happen e.g. I'll "stick my neck out" again and ask if the [url=https://homebrewshop.be/en/braumeister- ... itres.html]Braumeister 50L takes a long time to come to the boil with a 1000W heating coil[/url] as the 10L is 1000W and the 20L is 2000W?[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out. It was correct on the Dutch page, but it seems I missed to correct the English page. Updated!

I also added a note to the power cable description to clarify this is similar to a desktop PC power cable.

- Niels

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:03 am

chris172 wrote:Why all the animosity all of a sudden on what has been such a friendly forum.
It's all down to money. The detractors are usually those who can't afford one or more likely think they can't afford one. Let's put it in perspective. Sky Television package £40 plus per month. Hand held mobile device another £40 per month. That adds up to around £1000 a year. The cost of a 20 litre BM. Myself I use Freesat for television and a mobile phone at an average cost of 4€ a month. At that price I obviously don't walk around holding it in an outstretched hand like an Olympic torch looking for a 4G signal but I make and receive voice calls with no problems. This is called choice and I respect others for their choice.
Here is a thought. If Speidel marketed the BM on a monthly plan of £50 plus 25 kg malt per year and it was yours to keep at the end of a 2 year contract they would sell more.
Apart from this, it (a BM) does make exceedingly good beer.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:08 am

niels wrote:Thanks for pointing that out. It was correct on the Dutch page, but it seems I missed to correct the English page. Updated!

I also added a note to the power cable description to clarify this is similar to a desktop PC power cable.
That was quick, and you have a day job too?
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

niels

Post by niels » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:22 am

[quote="vacant"]That was quick, and you have a day job too?[/quote]
I work as a freelance programmer, so I can multi-task ;)

- Niels

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:30 am

I was considering building a Herms/Rims rig. And also considered a BM or Grainfather.
Taking cost, tooling, resale value and the favorable current euro conversion rate.
I have ordered a BM 20 from neils.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:33 pm

IPA wrote:
chris172 wrote:Why all the animosity all of a sudden on what has been such a friendly forum.
It's all down to money. The detractors are usually those who can't afford one or more likely think they can't afford one. Let's put it in perspective. Sky Television package £40 plus per month. Hand held mobile device another £40 per month. That adds up to around £1000 a year. The cost of a 20 litre BM. Myself I use Freesat for television and a mobile phone at an average cost of 4€ a month. At that price I obviously don't walk around holding it in an outstretched hand like an Olympic torch looking for a 4G signal but I make and receive voice calls with no problems. This is called choice and I respect others for their choice.
Here is a thought. If Speidel marketed the BM on a monthly plan of £50 plus 25 kg malt per year and it was yours to keep at the end of a 2 year contract they would sell more.
Apart from this, it (a BM) does make exceedingly good beer.
Likewise, my comment was made in jest :) IPA sums it up well. Personslly, i'd not have one if it was half the offered price as I'm a tight southerner - and also why I have such great awe and respect for people like barneey who make stuff like this from scratch on a shoestring. Each to their own tho - I just came here for the beer :lol:
Last edited by Pinto on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:01 pm

chris172 wrote: Why all the animosity all of a sudden on what has been such a friendly forum.
No animosity on my part, just pointing out the error in your thread title :D
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

btd1975

Post by btd1975 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:55 pm

I'm feeling a little let down by this forum. I've used it for a great deal of knowledge in starting my home brew journey and then into all grain and onto choosing a BM20, from Niels on forum members recommendations. I'm the one that asked him to source me a UK plug (who cares it's a few quid more? Literally no more than £3-4 than a UK sourced plug with p&p). Niels told me beforehand I could use an old laptop/computer cable/kettle cable if I had one spare. I don't,....I could 'time share' them, but for about £6 (total cost), what's the point! (As Niel's said, that's was him making no profit as sourced at short notice). If you can get one for a couple of pounds then well done, in the grand scheme, it's peanuts. Well done you!

I've had great service from Niels and he's been up front and very honest. If all you have to say is that the UK leads are expensive then fine, stick a link up for those who will order from Niels the main kit and they can get the lead elsewhere for £3-4 less.

Don't say 'take care' as if it's a dodgy venture because of the UK plug price, you're casting shadows on someone's future livelyhood. That's unacceptable.

Do you want me to put some smileys here as well....?
Last edited by btd1975 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wezzel

My BM has arrived... you can afford one too!!

Post by Wezzel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:41 pm

I think we all need to be a little careful on public forums where people's livelihoods are at stake. Especially smaller businesses or those just starting out. It's easy to make public a problem which could be a misunderstanding or something minor that can be resolved privately with an email or phone call.

If you have a problem with a supplier who is totally unreasonable or consistently gives poor service that's different and then it's helpful to warn other members.

The reason I have pushed Niel's shop on the forum is because he has been far more helpful than any other supplier I have ever dealt with and I think that deserves a mention.

btd1975

Post by btd1975 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:21 am

[quote="Wezzel"]I think we all need to be a little careful on public forums where people's livelihoods are at stake. Especially smaller businesses or those just starting out. It's easy to make public a problem which could be a misunderstanding or something minor that can be resolved privately with an email or phone call.

The reason I have pushed Niel's shop on the forum is because he has been far more helpful than any other supplier I have ever dealt with and I think that deserves a mention.[/quote]

Agreed. I'm very annoyed someone who has never used Niels has come onto the Braumeister forum to tell people to 'take care' over a Belgian sourced UK plug costing £3-4 more than the UK. If they had bothered to talk to Niels I'm sure he'd of told them, as he did me, a computer or kettle cord would suffice if rated C13.

This is a very public forum and casting dispersions on any business is unacceptable unless personal experience, after trying to resolve an issue is being spoken about.

Last thing, I thought the sarcastic comment to Niels about his quick response to a question was disgusting. Of course a business owner will answer any attack on his livelihood quickly. It should be reassuring it takes presidence over everything else, if you can't grasp that I dispare.......

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:12 am

btd1975 wrote: This is a very public forum and casting dispersions on any business is unacceptable unless personal experience, after trying to resolve an issue is being spoken about.

Last thing, I thought the sarcastic comment to Niels about his quick response to a question was disgusting. Of course a business owner will answer any attack on his livelihood quickly. It should be reassuring it takes presidence over everything else, if you can't grasp that I dispare.......
Mate, I think you might be reading a bit too much into it. Niels has responded superbly and all is well.

btd1975

Post by btd1975 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:18 am

Mate, I think you might be reading a bit too much into it. Niels has responded superbly and all is well.[/quote]

I think that is the issue, Niels had to come onto a public forum to defend his business because someone looking through his website didn't like the price of a plug he was supplying and therefore people needed to be careful. He should of contacted Niels if he thought it was such an issue. He doesn't mention the BM20L being nearly £200 cheaper through him though.

But point taken, I've said enough.