First Braumeister brew day water question.

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Matt12398

Re: First Braumeister brew day water question.

Post by Matt12398 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 pm

I've adapted my approach slightly. I put my recipe in beersmith to work out the volumes. I fill the braumeister to the appropriate notch on the centre rod and mash. I then sparge with the difference based on the beersmith total mash volume figure. I sparge with unheated tap water as I've read several report of it not making any difference.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Matt12398 wrote:I've adapted my approach slightly. I put my recipe in beersmith to work out the volumes. I fill the braumeister to the appropriate notch on the centre rod and mash. I then sparge with the difference based on the beersmith total mash volume figure. I sparge with unheated tap water as I've read several report of it not making any difference.
I cannot believe that cold water will "rinse" sugar as efficiently as water at 78 degrees.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:27 am

I agree with IPA.
Sparge water @ 78c
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

kev93_10
Piss Artist

Post by kev93_10 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:46 am

IPA wrote:
kev93_10 wrote:
DeGarre wrote:First time I brewed I did not sparge/rinse and I got 17 litres into the FV. When I started sparging I got 23-24 litres. You do the math...
Different gravities though.

What gravity were you aiming for on both brews and what did you achieve?

Pointless saying "I got more beer" if all you did was dilute what you had. Anyone could add water to a FV and increase volume but was the finished product what you intended?

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
88 percent efficiency every time. Which means I use the grain bill for a 23 litre brew to make 25 litres. Surely that makes sense.
Wasn't what I was saying.

I said that if you dilute more and get more beer at a given efficiency with a fixed grain bill then it's pointless saying "free beer you do the math".

Like making 2 cups of tea with one tea bag. You've got more volume but same same quantity of extracted flavour split between the 2 cups.

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbarn
Piss Artist

First Braumeister brew day water question.

Post by mbarn » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:58 pm

I've always been a sparger, but recently tried full volume, no sparge. Efficiency was lower, amount in to FV was strangely lower, but it was easier to do.
Will be sparging again on next brew.
Using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:46 am

Wasn't what I was saying.

I said that if you dilute more and get more beer at a given efficiency with a fixed grain bill then it's pointless saying "free beer you do the math".

Like making 2 cups of tea with one tea bag. You've got more volume but same same quantity of extracted flavour split between the 2 cups.
I agree but is it not our aim to get your expected volume at the gravity you want? In other words if you want 23 litres why settle for 17. All you have to do is increase your grain bill and sparge. If you don't sparge you are wasting the fermentable sugars that are retained in the grain. That is in fact free beer.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)