First AG brew (ever) on the Grainfather

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Buckie Brewer
Piss Artist

First AG brew (ever) on the Grainfather

Post by Buckie Brewer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:47 pm

So my Grainfather finally arrived, I had ordered mine way back when it first came out for pre order back in 2014 after weighing it up against the Braumeister (which at the time was £1200+) so made my decision based on getting a cornie kegerator and Grainfather for less than that.

But this is not a who's best post this is a first ever brew day post with some crappy photos taken while I ran around on my first ever all grain brew day. A TT landlord recipe pack from lovebrewing.com.

The shed! this is my shed where I brew and tinker. One of the reasons for a one pot system was space and simplicity which the Grainfather offers.
To start with I heated 12l to 90c and transferred it to my fermenting bucket for the sparge later, this was kept in my fermenting fridge with the tube heater on.

The brew schedule supplied with the pack and tailored to a Grainfather.

The "Brewputer" you see here was an old smashed laptop stuck to a cupboard door and run with small hand held keyboard.
I tweaked the recipe slightly based on suggestions from the forum and entered it into beersmith.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
5.30 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)
0.10 kg Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp)
0.10 kg Wheat, Torrified (Thomas Fawcett)
39.00 g Bobek - Boil 90.0 min
32.00 g Fuggle - Boil 90.0 min
1 of Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
20.00 g East Kent Goldings - Boil 15.0 mins
1.0 pkg British Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M07)
20.00 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0

Mash Schedule: Grainfather Med Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Temp Time

Mash in Add 18.55 l of water and heat to 67.0 C 67.0 C 80 min
Mash out Heat to 74.0 C over 4 min 74.0 C 10 min
Sparge: Sparge with 9.5 l water at 74.0 C

The grain shot, the bagged grains, hops and yeast came with the recipe pack. The two additions are 100g light crystal and 100g torrified wheat I have a 20g teabag of Styrian Goldings from my last kit for the dry hop.

Mashing in to 18.5 ltrs and the infamous cap. Yes it is a bottle cap but it does the job and it floats, however I am going to replace it with a short piece of 22mm copper pipe crimed or capped at the end. I also need a longer mash spoon as the Grainfather is deep and narrow.

The top mesh in place, the seal has been upgraded since the first units to a whole purpose made one rather than split hose.

I am mashing at 67c so I had set my initial strike temp to 72c but it came in at 64c. One of the great things about one pot recirculating systems is that it didn't matter as it was back to temp in no time. One less thing for me to panic about.

Mash started, I throttled the recirculation to start with to prevent it all running down the overflow then after a while I stopped and gave it a stir then it was full steam ahead.

The boil, I used hop bags for the hop additions and they rolled around nicely. with the lid on the boil bubbled up to the lid but I left it off for majority of the boil. DMS and all that.

Boil finished and cooling began, to start with while pumping round the hop bags settled over the pump intake and clogged it. So a hasty "can you hold this" was needed to get the chiller off the top while I dig them out. I think a stand/shelf is in order for the next time. When I restarted I used the hop bag with the 15min hops in it as a type of filter.

21ltr collected, there is some left in the pot but I wanted to leave some head space I need a bigger bucket as I used to only do 19ltr with the kits.

15% ish Brix which is 1.049 according to beersmith which is good.

The Mangrove Jacks British Ale M07 yeast was rehydrated in some cooled boiled water and pitched at 18c and tucked away in the brew fridge at 19c for the next fortnight.

The mess at the end and the worse part about this begins, cleaning up.

The lessons I learned for next time were, allow more time, yes it was a 90min mash and yes it was a 90min boil but it won't take 3 hours, 28ltrs of water take time to heat up and 5kg of grain takes time to mash in. Also I need a bigger mash paddle as the short spoon I used for kits doesn't reach the bottom of the pot and hot wort is very hot.
I have also realised that I have time and everything doesn't need doing at once, there is no need to be worrying about hydrating yeast at the mash in stage.

I would recommend the Grainfather, is it a bit rough around the edges? yes but it is still well built and a lot of the previous early issues have been addressed like the arm screw is now a shorter coarser thread so a few turns is all it takes. It also has a check valve which stops you pumping wort everywhere if the recirculating arm is not attached. I would think about fitting a sight glass as it is difficult to see the level during the sparge but a quick look when you lift the grain bucket lets you know hoew much to sparge with.

All in all it was good first time, the Grainfather preformed very well and did everything I was expecting from it.

Just got to wait and see the results now and start getting my head round cornie kegs, line balancing, force carbing etc etc Im off to the dispensing thread to start reading

meursault

Re: First AG brew (ever) on the Grainfather

Post by meursault » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:49 pm

how did your sparging stage go BB?
i have a GF on order and am planning to try and get a rotating arm that will fit it
what diameter is basket pls?

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Well done. Sounds like a very nice 1st AG brew. =D>
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Nice One BB,

adding a bit of length to the chiller beer in tube is on my plan with the chiller sat on the lid late hop additions are a real pita, i also found a step up was handy when lifting the grain tube up for the sparge.. all in all i agree tho its a smashing bit of kit it does exactly what its ment to, fwiw i had the pump on full pelt durring the whole mash, it did start to fill and return thru the centre post/drain but that soon settled back to a full drain back thru the grain within 10-15 mins and it really cleared the liquor nicely the top plate was clearly visible thru the liquor again after only 10-15 mins..

think we have a winner here with a few slight tweaks to match each particular brewers style. .. big thumbs up from me ;)

@meursault sorry i completely forgot i promised to measure the grain tube DOH:!
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:25 pm

Presume you made a typo with the Brix calculation? 15 is 1.060. You just times it by 4 (my beersmith agrees) :)

Great brewday:-) A member of my homebrew club loves his.

Buckie Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Buckie Brewer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Goulders wrote:Presume you made a typo with the Brix calculation? 15 is 1.060. You just times it by 4 (my beersmith agreed
strange my beersmith states 1050 I will have to investigate further.

meursault the inside diameter is 26cm, the sparging went well I just used a jug to measure out the 9ish ltrs needed and gently topped up the water keeping a few cm above the top mesh.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:59 pm

Buckie Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Buckie Brewer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 pm

refact.JPG
I have attached a screen grab of my Beersmith reading as you can see mine reads 1.049. Have I done something wrong with Beersmith or have I over shot the numbers and got a better efficiency than predicted?
1.060 is going to be nearly 6.5% :shock:........................ :beer:

Derrick
Tippler

Post by Derrick » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:59 am

Hi, got mine a couple of weeks ago, makes the brew day much less stressful, faster too.
As been pointed out the silly little cap on the overflow tube is a pita. I threw it in the bin the third time it fell into the mash as I was adding/stirring the grain in. Used a plastic test tube instead.
The major points, so much less washing/rinsing buckets/mash tuns out. I usually have the Burco for spare water, a cooling bucket/with coil, a fermenting bin, another bin with tap to aerate, the mash tun another filled with sterilizer for those bits/bobs etc etc. This time round just the Grainfather and the fermenting bin and the ole burco for the sparge water.
I did a 4000Kg Pale malt/500g dark crystal brew, followed the calculation for the mash volume (17L). It did over flow a bit at the start but after 30 mins was running clear an inch or so below the overflow on a 90min mash. Added 15L water (according to the calculation in the booklet) to the Burco to sparge with. Now I did have a "phils" sparging arm that fitted but despite the burco being on the worktop and the Grandfather on the floor there was insufficient pressure to rotate the sparge arm. I had to place a foot stool on the worktop for the Burco to sit on to get the pressure to sparge. I gave up on the arm and just used a tube from the burco into the Grainfather and maintained a slight sparge water head over the grain bed, worked out fine. Got an efficiency of 86%.
I started the heat to boil as soon as I started sparging, and 30 mins later had a rolling boil.
The best thing about the whole setup imo is the counterflow cooler. It went straight from the Grainfather (after a 30min rest for the hops to settle) into the fermentation bin at 23˚C, did not restrict the flow using the valve, but played with the cooling water flow from the cold water tap instead. I'm still amazed at that, from 90˚C to 23˚C in a single pass. 15-20 mins later the bin was full, aerated and the yeast in.
Mine had a good finish, no sharp edges or anything like that. Yes having to set the switches from mash to boil and set the element likewise could have been improved upon (autoswitching), and a better cap for the overflow, I'm also a little wary on just how long the element will last or how easy it will be get a new one and replace it, likewise with the pump, but the same is true for other devices.
But apart from that I'm well happy with it

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 pm

Another GF fan here too - works really well and now my 3V herms system is redundant. I'm brewing with mine again this weekend.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:37 pm

Buckie Brewer wrote:
refact.JPG
I have attached a screen grab of my Beersmith reading as you can see mine reads 1.049. Have I done something wrong with Beersmith or have I over shot the numbers and got a better efficiency than predicted?
1.060 is going to be nearly 6.5% :shock:........................ :beer:
Check the correction factor.

It is a straightforward calc. Multiply by 4. Fermented wort is different. Not sure why yours is saying that.

Buckie Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Buckie Brewer » Fri May 01, 2015 10:52 am

refact1.JPG

You're right the correction figure was wrong, I sorted it by doing the calibration in the settings and now it reads correctly. :D

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Mon May 04, 2015 10:51 pm

How did you find the calculations in the instructions Derrick

did you hit your og and targets ok?

cheers

Derrick
Tippler

Post by Derrick » Wed May 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi Dave,

Unusually I did follow the calculations to the letter so for above.

Mash Volume: (grist weight in Kg x 2.7) + 3.5 for me that was (5 x 2.7) + 3.5 = 17 L

Sparge volume: (28 - mash water volume in L) + (grist in Kg x 0.8) (28-15.65) + (4.5 x 0.8) = 15 L

I found the calculations to be accurate.

I started the boil with 28L (so I hit the target there according to the instructions), after the boil I had 25 litres so that was also on target. But then you filter out the hops/trub and as I used a fair amount of hops (100g) lost 2.5-3 litres somewhere so final volume of beer in the fermenter was around 22L.

But as noted, the target volume post boil of 25 L is accurate, but you need to take into account the water trapped in the hops/trub/boiler dead-space if your aiming for a specific volume of beer in the fermenter and beyond.

For the first use I just wanted to see the volumes, would they work?, how much would the boil reduce it by and overall the calculations were spot on.
The OG target was 1049, but was actually 1053 so my efficiency increased.

For the second brew, I adjusted the efficiency to 86% and the OG was spot on.

At least I have a reproducible system now (which is the main thing), so can play with hops :-)

As for OG, my usual efficiency was 79-80%, so was expecting an OG around 1049
The second brew when I factored in the efficiency of 86% was again

Dave-Leeds

Post by Dave-Leeds » Wed May 06, 2015 8:23 pm

cheers Derrick

off to pick mine up at weekend and hoping to get a brew going.got a punk ipa kit from malt miller kicking about.

looks like ill be using the calculations from the manual till I get to know the machine. heard the filter is easy to clog so think ill be using hop bags or make a hop spider