Grainfather controller replacement with ArdBir (full auto)

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
arzaman

Grainfather controller replacement with ArdBir (full auto)

Post by arzaman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am

Hi
The Open ArdBir team is working to adapt the single vessel BIAB/Rims controller developed during last two years to GrainFather

few guys around the world has already replaced the original controller (simple thermoregulator) with ArdBir that allow full processo controls in all steps, recipe management, PID /PWM power control, complete set up of all unit and brewing parameters...it's a huge step head compared the original controller at low cost / low effort

The controller from integration and HW perspective is almost plug and play, we are preparing a full guide and a optimized settings from GrainFather

as soon as I gain the right to add links and photos :( I wil update the post !

stay tuned
Davide

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Re: Grainfather controller replacement with ArdBir (full aut

Post by sladeywadey » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:31 am

https://www.facebook.com/OpenArdBir

Not sure what advantage this gives those who already have the upgraded STC1000 controller.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:02 pm

sladeywadey wrote:https://www.facebook.com/OpenArdBir

Not sure what advantage this gives those who already have the upgraded STC1000 controller.
I would imagine that it would be much more user friendly and flexible.

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Guys

there is a misconception... any thermo regulator is fine for brwing but is STATIC, it controls heting element vs a set point...is not a controller..has no worflow and any logic on board , has no “time” concept

ArdBir is a complete controller…step by step process control and guide, off course it acts also like a thermo regulator, but this is only part of the job !

Than we can discuss if for brewing we need an automation and what level is good…but ArdBir is so flexible that you can have complete brewing process self manged…complete manual process (with some plus related to a simple thermostat) or indermediate version. You have full control of unit parameter and you can customize the process

I will provide full details of function and feature very shortly

Davide

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:09 pm

arzaman wrote:Guys

there is a misconception... any thermo regulator is fine for brwing but is STATIC, it controls heting element vs a set point...is not a controller..has no worflow and any logic on board , has no “time” concept

The guys are talking about the "modified" STC-1000 firmware (named STC-1000+) -> https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p

This introduces some additional capabilities over the basic STC-1000.
Dan!

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:14 pm

It looks nice, but it is costly, compared to changing an STC-200 to a modified STC-1000. Which also allows step mashes etc. But given it is based on an Arduino you could certainly build one your self for less than the kit cost.

If you are building a NEW system then it may be worth it as a one stop controller handling pumps & elements, but personally I don't want a system like the BM.

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:01 pm

@Hairybiker I understand that someone prefer simple thermoregulator like stc1000 and not a process automation..but with ardbir you can run both manual (with some plus related to stc 1000) and automatic
about building by yourself not sure you can achieve any csot saving since the kit is sold at price cost

have a look to full feature and functions in the dedicated post

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72435&p=758181#p758181

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Transformation is on going..just a preview

stay tuned

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:04 pm

It would be great if it could be put in the original housing that the original controller comes in. I'm sure it will be possible with the right arduino unit/
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:24 am

arzaman wrote:@Hairybiker I understand that someone prefer simple thermoregulator like stc1000 and not a process automation.
I meant the STC-1000+, which does automation, step mashes, boil time etc. OK you need to get a V1 and program it yourself, but it is still <£25 for all the bits.

From what I read on your web page, you are basically supplying an Arduino with a ssr and keyboard/lcd. All of which could be bought for <£20, ok it will not be all on a nice pcb, but there is room to use a Uno and a i2c lcd in the box.

There will probably be plenty of people interested in it, just not me. Good luck with the project.

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Hairybiker wrote: you are basically supplying an Arduino with a ssr and keyboard/lcd. All of which could be bought for <£20, ok it will not be all on a nice pcb, but there is room to use a Uno and a i2c lcd in the box.

There will probably be plenty of people interested in it, just not me. Good luck with the project.
I absolutely respect your position and preference…you can do best beer with just a thermometer in the pot

not completely in line with your last sentence..
You see maybe the top of the iceberg…ArdBir is not just a piece of HW. .is hundreds of man day of work (design, engineering, coding, test, tuning..) and like all open source project we try to subsidize the project with some HW sell at substantially cost price

Davide

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:34 pm

A couple of pictures of the transformation performed by an Italian ArdBir supporter

really plug an play !

courteously from cherryphilip

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:05 am

Looking good! :D

Steve

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Since I have a spare Arduino UNO kicking about, along with the usual stuff from a starter kit & a dual relay board, I thought I would have a look at/play with this.
Latest version fails to compile saying it is too large. Using 1.56 of the ide on Linux Mint. Any ideas on this - this was without any changes.

2.6.70b6 compiles fine. Base line check.
Mods I needed to do:
Changed to an I2C lcd (adding I2C lcd library in place of the standard one), only 'cause I prefer I2C to parallel wiring.
reversed the polarity on the pump & heater drives to drive my relay board, low active rather than high.

Got it all working after faffing about with the min switches to get the menu items working properly, thought I had them wired correctly according to the diagrams, but hey ho.

Looks nice, I may use it later if I get around to building a case etc.
Though about adding a RTC but the space is very tight, probably not enough left for the code - nor is it needed :oops:

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:41 am

Here short guide to upgrade grainfather equipment with Open ArdBir controller providing full brewing process automation and much more !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJctwTmh10

enjoy
Davide