How unattended is the Braumeister?

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
IPA
Under the Table

Re: How unattended is the Braumeister?

Post by IPA » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:19 am

Rhodesy wrote:
IPA wrote:The longest time you can leave a BM unattended is the time you set for the mash usually around 90 minutes plus the heating time between steps. That gives a total of about 105 minutes. For the boil phase if you sparge at 76 degrees it takes about 20 minutes to reach boiling. Depending on hop additions you can be absent for the time in between and during cooling you can leave it to itself for the time it takes which depends on your chiller and ambient air temperature.
You can leave it longer if you wish, there is a huge thread on the BM forum. You can set, if you wish each mash step to 180 minutes. If overnight mashing I dough in at around 38c, I may then do a protein rest for up to 20 mins at say 56c then move onto the next rest. You could also, if you want mash in at say 66c etc and leave that for 180 minutes. You can then move up to mash out temps around 76-78c and do 4 x 180 minute steps. Once these complete it will just beep to remove the malt pipe but keep the temperature at mash out temps. Doing this will lead to extra evaporation so you need to ensure you have the lid on and also enough liqour but providing you dont leave it too long its not an issue and you can also liqour back. It will not start boiling until you confirm the malt pipe has been removed and to start the boil.

I also use the thermocollar which helps with helps with heating times and heat retention meaning the element is not always on as it can maintain the temp quite well.
As I said you can leave it unattended for the total mash time you have set. Which in my case is usually 90 minutes.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:43 am

IPA wrote:
Rhodesy wrote:
IPA wrote:The longest time you can leave a BM unattended is the time you set for the mash usually around 90 minutes plus the heating time between steps. That gives a total of about 105 minutes. For the boil phase if you sparge at 76 degrees it takes about 20 minutes to reach boiling. Depending on hop additions you can be absent for the time in between and during cooling you can leave it to itself for the time it takes which depends on your chiller and ambient air temperature.
You can leave it longer if you wish, there is a huge thread on the BM forum. You can set, if you wish each mash step to 180 minutes. If overnight mashing I dough in at around 38c, I may then do a protein rest for up to 20 mins at say 56c then move onto the next rest. You could also, if you want mash in at say 66c etc and leave that for 180 minutes. You can then move up to mash out temps around 76-78c and do 4 x 180 minute steps. Once these complete it will just beep to remove the malt pipe but keep the temperature at mash out temps. Doing this will lead to extra evaporation so you need to ensure you have the lid on and also enough liqour but providing you dont leave it too long its not an issue and you can also liqour back. It will not start boiling until you confirm the malt pipe has been removed and to start the boil.

I also use the thermocollar which helps with helps with heating times and heat retention meaning the element is not always on as it can maintain the temp quite well.
As I said you can leave it unattended for the total mash time you have set. Which in my case is usually 90 minutes.
Not disagreeing :) . Only saying that should you wish you can leave it for prolonged times/steps for overnight or all day mashing if busy in between etc.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Aleman wrote:Does that BAC filter drain that quickly with pellets in at 20L BM? I thought it wasn't suitable for pellets, causing very slow run off. A 50L is easier as the whirlpool is more effective.
I used this again today in a lager. Not as hop forward as my ales but 50g of pellets in there. It drained a litre at around 15/20seconds so was done in no time. Below is what was left over. This was all done with gravity.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Aleman wrote:Looks like I gotta get me one of those :evil: :evil:
I really like it. As long as the BM is sitting dead center and you give it a good whirlpool there should be no issues.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:26 am

Aleman wrote:Looks like I gotta get me one of those :evil: :evil:
Before you do have a talk to Barneey
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:19 pm

To me this should answer the issue of BM hop filter but I'm put off after Barneey's bad experience.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Just about to pull the trigger on the BM and accessories this week but still undecided about the BAC filter.
Brew UK do sell the BAC hop spider, does anyone have experience of that and is it effective for both flowers and pellets?

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Why not wait until you have done a few brews with the bm. You can make a better judgement on your requirements once you see what happens for yourself. I don't use a filter and use pellets mostly. Yes you lose a few litres but you can get them if you're prepared to tilt the bm. A bit of tubing on the tap is most useful for this.

timtoos
Piss Artist

Post by timtoos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:23 pm

Do you use any copper finings when using the springer filter?

I did a brew the other day and mine went terrible. I ended up syphoning the beer out of the BM as I was so fed up. After 1 hour I had only collected 5 litres of wort.

To be honest my whirlpool attempt may not have been the best so that may be the issue.

I use copper finings (protofloc) which I hear can cause issues with the springer performance.

So would you advise the following routine?

1. Cool the wort to pitch temp
2. Whirlpool
3. Let settle for 45 mins
4. Transfer to FV

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm

How much protofloc? you only need 1/4 tablet for a 20 litre brew.

timtoos
Piss Artist

Post by timtoos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:46 pm

I use a full protofloc tab for a brew (the destructions say use one tab / 5gallon brew). Is that too much for a 5g brew?

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Waaaay too much. Use 1/4 tab. Should help with blocking issues. Pellet hops may also cause blocking.

Doingatun
Piss Artist

Post by Doingatun » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Can't leave mine unattended.....recently been experiencing variable wort fountains throughout the mash period and I mean wort fountains, lid lifters :shock: randomly start, a lot of escaped sticky wort everywhere it shouldn't be :twisted: there must be a risk of exposing the element if left unattended......Disastrous results.

Hope it's the dusty finer crush in the last 2 sacks of pre crushed that is causing the issue. Until I'm fully confident I've got the crush and wort fountains under control I have keep a constant eye on prceedings :cry: .
2016 10 Brews 422 Pints
2015 11 Brews 464 Pints
Total Brews 2006-to-date 149 = 6293 Pints

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:55 am

Doingatun wrote:Can't leave mine unattended.....recently been experiencing variable wort fountains throughout the mash period and I mean wort fountains, lid lifters :shock: randomly start, a lot of escaped sticky wort everywhere it shouldn't be :twisted: there must be a risk of exposing the element if left unattended......Disastrous results.

Hope it's the dusty finer crush in the last 2 sacks of pre crushed that is causing the issue. Until I'm fully confident I've got the crush and wort fountains under control I have keep a constant eye on prceedings :cry: .
How much has your grain bill been? The crush likely to have an effect and if you are using <4kg this will also have an effect. Try loading in some rice hulls to help thicken the mash up but providing a flow. What temp also are you doughing in at? I find a 10 minute rest at 40c helps and a proper 5 minute stir to ensure no dougballs and its all mixed in.

What I tend to do when filling the malt pipe is to add in 1-2kg at a time and give it a good stir then repeat. I then let it sit for another 5 minutes, quick stir then lock up the malt pipe and start the mash with the 40c programme. When doing a single step at 65c or so I still follow the above and take my time on the mixing in part. The only real time I have had fountains was when I used a high amount of grain and didn't mix it as best I could or in a low grain bill recipe.