Centre Rod Nut

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Centre Rod Nut

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:30 pm

I have discovered a small driping leak at the bottom of the pot at the centre rod nut. Despite my best efforts to tighten all I seem to do is rotate the centre rod but not tighten it any. I tried to have a look inside the pot and the o-ring seems fine on the bottom of the rod but it does move both clockwise and anti clockwise, never loosening or tightening too much.

I know this is probably a simple fix but I can't seem to stop this leak. One for barneeys thread in equipment as I am close to sending it back to get sorted but want to brew on Friday so really would like to fix it if I can.

**Edit**

So doing some reading its seems I have to use a lock nut on the rod thread by tightening 2 nuts together, I would then hold the lower one in place with a spanner and then use another spanner on the underside nut to loosen? A bit annoying but suppose I can give it a try

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Centre Rod Nut

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Managed to tighten this, the thread had Loctite on it hence why I struggled. I made a double nut on the centre rod and held with a spanner whilst I undid the connection, cleaned it up and tightened. Still to water test it but hopefully works.

Quite disappointed that this happened in the first place however sorted now I hope.