Scratched Braumeister with green scour pad

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Yosh

Scratched Braumeister with green scour pad

Post by Yosh » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:42 am

I'm a wally who just scratched the inside of his Braumeister with a green scouring pad, just light scratches but still annoying.

Is there anything I can do to help protect the scratched area?

Normski
Under the Table

Re: Scratched Braumeister with green scour pad

Post by Normski » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:05 pm

I woulndn't worry, A few scratches isn’t going to harm your beer.
Your going to boil in it, your not going to ferment in it.
Mine looks a bit rough after well over 60 brews in just over a year.
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:46 pm

[quote="Normski"]I woulndn't worry, A few scratches isn’t going to harm your beer.
Your going to boil in it, your not going to ferment in it.
Mine looks a bit rough after well over 60 brews in just over a year.
Norm[/quote]
60 brews in a year is good. I brewed today and when I was checking my notes I counted 12 brews in the year since I bought my BM

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:25 am

Next time you clean it dissolve half a kilo of household soda crystals and add it to the BM filled with water and heat it on manual to 60 degrees and leave it for a couple of hours. After that any deposit will rub of with a soft cloth.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Yosh

Post by Yosh » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:34 pm

You're right normski, I'm sure it will be ok, just fudge me right off when I look at it #-o

Good idea IPA, I will try that next time.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Yosh wrote:You're right normski, I'm sure it will be ok, just fudge me right off when I look at it #-o

Try this. Keep it shiny with Ciff stainless steel cleaner, marvellous stuff.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:01 pm

I wouldn't worry. I bought the official cleaning kit, and mine is scratched inside. I think it is inevitable if you want to get it clean.
Using Tapatalk

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:45 pm

orlando wrote:
Yosh wrote:You're right normski, I'm sure it will be ok, just fudge me right off when I look at it #-o

Try this. Keep it shiny with Ciff stainless steel cleaner, marvellous stuff.
Many-a-Sunday I cleaned my moped with that stuff, it took some time but it works, in and out between the spokes and all over the rest of the bike I wanted to make shine,
To Busy To Add,

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:24 am

The light abrasions (on whats essentially a boiler) from a kitchen scrubby pad won't make any difference to your beer; its more of a cosmetic annoyance. They could probably be polished out with a 'mildly' abrasive polish but it will only accrue more over time so I wouldn't bother to try too hard, myself - like a new car, the first scratch is terrible, but after a while you hardly notice.

You could reduce the rate they appear by using a non-stick style of scrubby and/or soaking to clean. I find even just soaking in hot water is enough for a kitchen towel to do the job with the organics on a brew kettle - though a stronger solution may be needed periodically if you get beerstone building up or more regularly if you have enclosed/hidden areas in pipework to clean. I don't have a BM, but they seem really quite well designed for easy cleaning so nothing drastic or harsh should be needed; the elements will likely need the most attention.
Kev

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:53 am

the elements will likely need the most attention.
One strange thing that I have noticed on the BM is that if you use a hop sock you get a deposit on the elements but if you add them without a hop sock or spider the elements stay clean :?: :?:

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:48 am

IPA wrote:
One strange thing that I have noticed on the BM is that if you use a hop sock you get a deposit on the elements but if you add them without a hop sock or spider the elements stay clean :?: :?:
That's interesting. I always use a muslin bag for hops. Without a bag, do you have any probs with clogged tap or hops in the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:24 pm

chris.laws.54943 wrote:
IPA wrote:
That's interesting. I always use a muslin bag for hops. Without a bag, do you have any probs with clogged tap or hops in the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the Speidel hop filter to prevent the tap blocking. Obviously you cannot have the pump running after the hops are added but even so bits of hops still manage to find their way in during the boil. To remove the debris after emptying the BM I flush the pumps with a shower hose attached to the tap. And after three or four brews I dismantle the pumps to make sure that they are really clean

Alone we travel faster

oktaneza

Post by oktaneza » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:50 pm

If you are really worried about it you can passivate the stainless steel again. Pretty easy to do with starsan and will prevent rusting and the stainless steel

- Clean BM and dry
- Add about 35ml of Starsan per 5l of warm water (+-30 deg)
- Leave mixture in BM for about 20mins
- Drain mix and air dry

http://howtobrew.com/book/appendices/ap ... less-steel