First BM brew

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Onthebrew

First BM brew

Post by Onthebrew » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:09 pm

ok further to the previous thread i went for the 20l BM and its winging its way to me as we speak. as noted before i am completely new to brewing. ive already read the instructions online and various videos and in the main it looks fairly straigth forward.

However a couple of questions, in order to get best tasting beer possible, if anyone could help it would be most appreciated.

1) for an IPA what water is best- can anyone recomend any of the supermarket options? ( starting with crafty brew recipe kits- mosaic ipa and light out black ipa)
2) if i end up with a mash PH to high - whats best to bring it down
3) as above but visa versa for a low PH.
4) are there any UK home brew magazines out there- ican only find USA, and Australian ones.

cheers guys.

f00b4r
Site Admin

First BM brew

Post by f00b4r » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Not actually answering your questions but something that might stop you doing the silly thing I and others did on my first brew...
Make sure you click on the next button to stop the pump before uncovering the malt pipe after mashing out or you will get grain everywhere
Oh and hose the malt pipe and filter plates ASAP whilst it is coming to the boil and the BM straight out after chilling, doing these will make it a dream to clean.
Enjoy!

mbarn
Piss Artist

Re: First BM brew

Post by mbarn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:05 pm

Congrats on your purchase. I'm coming up to 1 year with my 20l.

You can brew fine with tap water. I've brewed 8 times without checking PH or using anything but a campden tablet with my hard tap water. All brews have been great.
Just ordered a PH meter to improve further.
Using Tapatalk

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Start filling the BM with water by placing a hose in the pump inlet to 'deairate' the pump.

CaptainsCabin

Post by CaptainsCabin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 pm

Out curiosity what made you decide to buy a BM compared to a GF? If you don't mind me asking how much was your BM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:44 am

I would just brew with the water you have got to start with, which should brew a decent/drinkable beer. Do you have a way of controlling fermentation temperature? If not, I would focus on getting that right first before worrying about your water.

With regard to your water, ph isn't everything and a ph meter won't make you a better brewer. If/when you decide to treat your water, you need to understand its composition before making adjustments. Generally, if your alkalinity is in the right ballpark, the ph will fall naturally into place.

If you want to understand water, start by reading this

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:53 pm

thanks for the tips lads!

a bit of feedback

Start filling the BM with water by placing a hose in the pump inlet to 'deairate' the pump. - hopefully that will make sense when ive set it up but do youi mean when starting to fill it make sure to start around the pump area?

regarding water- i have most likely spent about two weeks reading up on it, and still not much wiser. i will be starting with an mosiac ipa which should be ok but then i have a black ipa lined up - i imagine the black ipa is dark malt so will i need to increase alkaninity further, so maybe a different water profile to the light ipa?

why the BM? - it just looked more polished than the GF, i watched a video and things like fitting and defitting the pump mid process looked a bit fiddly. as i am completely new to home brewing i wanted to keep brewing process as simple and idiot proof as possible to allow me time to concentrate my thoughts on other things such as fermentation, water and ingediant issues. nothing against the GF, it also looked good but the BM just looked better.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:23 pm

If you don't know what's in your water there is little point in thinking about water treatment.

Contact the member Wallybrew on here and for 25 quid you will get a comprehensive analysis, then get a salifert Total Alkalinity test kit and check it each and every time you brew.

If you decide to go with say Ashbeck water, it's not suitable for IPA's, but adding 2 tsp of gypsum and a tsp of calcium chloride to 30L will sort it out just fine.

For your black IPA, you either cold steep the dark grains 24 hours before brewing and just add the liquid, or add the dark grains with the last 15 minutes to go of the mash, so there is no need to worry about alkalinity adjustments for that.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Onthebrew wrote:thanks for the tips lads!

a bit of feedback

Start filling the BM with water by placing a hose in the pump inlet to 'deairate' the pump. - hopefully that will make sense when ive set it up but do youi mean when starting to fill it make sure to start around the pump area?
Sorry mate, I was typing from my phone. Predictive text giving the run around! Right, basically, purge the air from the pump pipework by starting the fill with a hose stuffed in the inlet. Thus:

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:30 pm

mcmullen- cheers mate , i think i follow

aleman- here are some profiles stating with tap water, then supermarket options- just working out which would be best starting point for my IPAs ive lined up.

Tap water. Classed mod soft ( drinkable but not great to be honest)
Calcium 33
Magnesium 5
Sodium 13
Sulfate 45
Chloride 18
Bicarbonate 81

Asda Eden Falls:
Calcium 11ppm
Magnesium 3ppm
Sodium 9ppm
Sulfate 9ppm
Chloride 12ppm
Bicarbonate 30ppm

Tesco Ashbeck:
Calcium 10ppm
Magnesium 2.5ppm
Sodium 9ppm
Sulfate 10ppm
Chloride 12ppm
Bicarbonate 9.5ppm

Just EAU:
Calcium 92ppm
Magnesium 1ppm
Sodium 7ppm
Sulfate
Chloride 14ppm
Bicarbonate
Ph. 7.5

carrick glen:
Calcium 80
Magnesium 23
Sodium 18
Sulfate 31
Chloride 20
Bicarbonate 293

gnorwebthgimi

Post by gnorwebthgimi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:11 pm

Water treatment is the least of your problems. Get the basics right first - it's a steep learning curve and you need to get to know your kit.

Try the brews without water treatment and see if you really think you need it after.

If you want an opinion on the water the then Carrick Glen looks like it will suit the black IPA the most as it has the highest Bicarbonate, but that is not helpful to you:

It's not that simple
If it really matters then you would still need to adjust the best water profile to get it right
If something goes wrong in your process you will have another variable to eliminate

Good luck with the first brew

Remember to check the taps are closed before you start filling the vessel.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:10 am

Cheers. I think you are right, so will probaly use tap water for first few brews until I settle in a rhythm. To get back rid of chlorine should I Boil or use campden tab?

Best place fermentation is upstairs fro brewing area. How easy it to move 20 litres of wort? Should i rethink that?

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 pm

ok so the first brew- the Mosiac IPA results- not great at the momewnt if i am honest. I opened a bottle last night and didn't rush back for another.

in fermenter for two weeks, bottled for two weeks. kept very close to target temps and monitored with ink bird controller. ( no brew fridge yet, but heat mat and open window)

on the plus side, although it was still super, super cloudy ( looked like egg nog, or milky tea) when i took a sample after fermentation was complete it has cleared considerably since then but it does has these issues

1)although cleared up quite a bit in the main, the bottom quarter of the bottle seem to contain a lot of yeast still- liquidy milky substance at the bottom.
2)although it was highly hopped, the hop aroma and flavour isnt very strong at all.
3) it doesn't seem to have carbonated well - a lot of gas seems to sitting above the beer- i used grolsh type bottles and there is a big pop when opened. ( used carbination drops)
4) overall taste sensantion is like a flati lager/pale ale. its not exactly what you would call quaffable!

it was first brew so wont beet myself up too much ( have done two more since- a stout and a black IPA- ....with their own issues, another story).

so Now that i have had a chance to try that first brew, i want to go back to the same recipe and try again and get it right.

Any advice as to what may have caused the above issues so i can tweak my procedure.

one error was only using 27 litres in the BM instead of 29, i mashed in at 38 degrees, quite slowly, maybe stirred and mix a bit to much. OG was 1060( target 1051) FG was 1020 ( target 1012). didnt use any irish moss/protoflock . used dry windsor ale yeast. any clues there? other than that not sure why it ended up as it did.

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:51 pm

I don't have a BM but a couple of obvious things jump out.

You mashed in at 38C?
I'd be looking at 66/68C for an IPA

Always use protofloc/Irish moss unless you're making a stout or porter. But if you forget it will clear eventually.

IIRC I think other people have had problems with dried Windsor yeast so try another dried yeast, Gervin GV12 or Nottingham are two I've used in the past with great result or better still fresh yeast.

Hope that's of some use?

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Cheers troutman. Just to clarify I mashed the grain in at 38 then mashed at 65 , then mashed out at 75 as per recipe.

Interesting what you say regarding the yeast. I ordered two recipes and actually mixed both yeasts up, both IPAs though but the other was a dark IPA. I was supposed to use liquid white labs California ale yeast with this, so maybe that's a factor. I also now have a supply of protoflock. Still not sure why hop impact modest and why it's a bit flat with minimal head retention? :?: