Bulldog brewer

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
alix101
Under the Table

Bulldog brewer

Post by alix101 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Just purchased the bulldog brewer today from the home brew shop in Farnham. .... I'm working not to far away and couldn't resist a pop in, as it's not my local area.
I must say the shop and owners /Staff were excellent and it's a fantastic shop if anyone has a chance to go in ...I was impressed. ...your lucky of your local ...
Anyway my reason to go in was to actually have a look at the different systems before I purchased online, I had my heart set on the braumister originally but I couldn't justify the cost (TO THE WIFE ) well to myself as well . I've seen the braumeister and the build quality is fantastic but at the end of the day I just want to brew again so I had decided the grainfather was a good compromise on cost and availability, until on a previous thread I'd seen this and for the life of me I couldn't see ,other than a built on pump what it did different ....I'm open to opinion. ..Take into account I've only just bought this and I'm yet to use it my only intention today was to look at a comparison between the two , in terms of build quality the two a almost identical. ..to a point I'd say the body of the machine is made in the same place probably China :shock: one has a glass lid one is stainless one has a fixed stainless tube one has a silicone tube ....The controller seems a bit better than the stc200 (I am yet to try however ) but all in all I'm happy with what I've bought today I'll report back after I've brewed with it ..
Yes it's an expensive Berco but given the price of these systems is worth considering. ...
I'd love an opinion of anyone who's brewed on it as they did say they had sold a few ...
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Re: Bulldog brewer

Post by deanrpwaacs » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I now have one . I used to brew 50 -70ltrs on 3 v but tbh i want to get back to mixing it up with smaller batches . I could in no way justify a grain father and this seems fair for an all in one . It came with the malt pipe top plate for sparging aswell . The only thing i dont like is the tube clamps that cut into the silicon pipe . Looking forward to some step mashing aswell . A simple mild will be brewed this weekend to get me going .
Drinking ,Arrogant Bsteward,Black Wit,Cream Rye Stout,
Conditioning,Tally Ho,Spitfire
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt
Coming up ,Old Spec Hen,Red IPA,Mega Hop Thing,Larkins Chidingstone,maybe a venture into Lager.
Love hops drink beer have a look here http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:03 pm

Let us know how it goes ...I'm looking foward to giving this system bash ....I always used to step mash which can be a pain I'm hoping this makes it easy ...all of these one pot vessels become unstuck by sparge water .....they aren't one pot vessels :shock:
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:32 pm

deanrpwaacs wrote:I now have one . I used to brew 50 -70ltrs on 3 v but tbh i want to get back to mixing it up with smaller batches . I could in no way justify a grain father and this seems fair for an all in one . It came with the malt pipe top plate for sparging aswell . The only thing i dont like is the tube clamps that cut into the silicon pipe . Looking forward to some step mashing aswell . A simple mild will be brewed this weekend to get me going .
How did the brew day go?

Thinking about taking the plunge with one of these myself so all info and snags would be welcome :D

Cheers. Tom

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:46 pm

I managed to fit two brew days in over the weekend. First was a Mild as i was just playing with the unit to get my head around how it works.
Second brew was a dark saison with plenty of rye in it.
The unit is very simple to use, the instructions are quite basic and a little brewing know how is helpful as i will try to explain.
First thing to do is lock the tap to the main body of the unit. The seal on this is good and did not leak.
You then attach the hoseloc type barb to this tap. I had to fiddle about to try and get it to seal but felt the washer is not thick enough to give a good seal. I had a better seal to hand so swapped it out. The pump comes with a silicon adapter that steps down from the hoseloc fitting to the pump.
You then attach a length of silicon tube to the stainless tube that feeds the wort through the lid. It comes with 2 jubilee clips that i did not use.
I find that some clips have a tag that pokes out under the screw part that tightens it and when you tighten them up they cut into the silicon tube.
I have some thumb screw type hose clips without the tag that i use and also spun a couple of turns of electrical tape around the hose before fitting them (i want the hose to last). I fitted the bazooka filter hand tight and slid the malt pipe into the main body.
Looking into the malt pip there is a centre tube that can be unscrewed and comes 3/4 of the way up. It was at this point i had a light bulb moment, i picked up the stainless golf tee shaped plug type thing (as i had no clue where it was to go) and sat it in the top of the centre tube (to stop the loose grain going down the pipe) .
I gave it a wash through with some soapy water to take any possible oil contamination away (as per instruction) and after a good rinse filled it with 20 ltrs of water.
I then ran a test to time the heating side. On the full setting it took 34 mins to heat up to 68c mash temp. At the start i noticed the water temp reading was very low so tested it with my thermometer. The reading was out by - 5c, the actual temp was 14c so i waited until it got up to temp and this reading was good (68c) . I have found with some of the temp control units stc100 ect that they do have variation at the top end or the bottom end of the temp scale, also i would like to find out if it can be adjusted manually as the instructions are basic and there is no info with regards to this . It helps to take notes on the first couple of brews so you can dial in any variation.
Once i was happy with how it worked i opened up the tap and switched on the pump. First mistake :D make sure the pipe is in the lid before you do this . The pump is very strong and you need to trim it with the tap valve to get a nice flow.
On to brew day No 1, a nice easy mild. I looked at the recipe and then thought about the instructions that came with it. I usually brew with 3 vessels so started thinking about mash water qty and sparging qty . I had to stop myself. This is a one pot system. Follow the instructions :D .
The recipe needs 28.3 ltrs in total so i filled it to 20 ltrs . You then have to figure out how to heat the remaining sparge water . I cheated and used my HLT , a kettle will do or a couple of pans , you can even be frowned upon and just sparge with cold water its up to you .
The water heated up to strike temp , i then set the power to low (700w) . I mashed in and gave it a good stir , i then looked at setting the time for a 60min mash . Press time , + to 60mins and that was it . I then removed the magic golf t plug thing and slid the sparge plate over the center tube . Fitted the lid and fed the wort pipe through the lid .
I set the tap to just open and put the pump on to get a nice recirc going . The temp remained constant and heating cut in a couple of times to keep it at 68c .
At the end of the mash the wort was running nice and clear , time to sparge , i lifted the malt pipe very slowly to the top position , switched the temp to max power and temp to 102c and slowly added the sparge water , i then waited for 5 mins and removed the malt pipe . Once it was nearing the boil i then went to set the time at 90mins . This is where i had a head scratching moment . I then realized the time unit only goes up to 60min max (or i was doing something wrong) . Its not a problem as when its nearing the end you can tag another 30mins on the end depending on the recipe requirements .
It then reached the boil and cut out :oops: . Panic set in , my beer my beer wtf . It was simple . Tap the temp up to 104c (make notes dial it in) and away it went a nice rolling boil , i used a small amount of leaf and pellets at the start and this was my only hops addition as its a Mild .
After 50 odd mins i came back and added the rest of the boil time .
15 mins from the end in went the protofloc and the coil chiller , i added an inline hose valve to help control the speed of the cooling water to this .
At the end of boil the unit switches it self off and away you go with the chilling side , the chiller worked well giving a nice break and good clear wort .
The filter worked well and very little break/hops made its way into the FV . All in all , once i had sorted out the small problems it was an easy brew day , it cleaned up easily , there was a little bit of scale at the bottom on the heating plate (hard water area), a quick squirt of lemon juice and it came off with a sponge .
Brew day No2 was the day after , now i had a better idea of how it worked i brewed a saison with a good slug of rye and wheat malt so a nice sticky mash , this went as planed . The wort took a little longer to clear during recirc but got there eventually . I used a small qty of leaf and even more pellets in this brew , with 50g at flame out , the chiller worked well and gave another good break .
All in all once you get used to the way the unit works it will be very easy to brew on .
It will be interesting to see how it handles my next brew a ,big stout . Instructions say 9kg max , we will see :D
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt
Coming up ,Old Spec Hen,Red IPA,Mega Hop Thing,Larkins Chidingstone,maybe a venture into Lager.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi Dean

Do you know if you have the v2 kit? I've seen mention somewhere that they've changed the control unit, maybe it now goes past the 60 min boil time? I'd also read about it cutting out at boil temps, maybe it was due to people setting it to 100c? I presume that once you upped it to 104 it was fine?

Cheers. Tom

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:29 pm

I think it is the v2 as its from the lastest shipment and came with the sparge plate . I will give them a call tomoz to find out . It held the boil for the full 90mins no problem once i had it set to 104c . It does go way beyond that but was not needed .
Dean .
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:32 pm

But the timer would only go to 60 mins, or did I read it wrong?
On holiday at the moment and in the bar so that's quite likely ;-)

Cheers. Tom

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:42 pm

Yes . It only goes to 60 . Will give them a call and update .
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks Dean

Cheers. Tom

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Homebrew shop in Farnham ? I'm local and didn't know there was one there. Sure you don't mean Farnborough where the-home-brew-shop have recently moved to ?
Dan!

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:49 am

soupdragon wrote:Thanks Dean

Cheers. Tom
The tech man is in america at the mo . Back on Monday so i sent an email and await his reply .
Dean .
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:39 am

I'm presuming that you leave the power on max during the boil or do you take it down a notch?
Oh and approx how much dead space under the filter?

Cheers. Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:57 pm

alix101 wrote:I'll report back after I've brewed with it ..
Have you managed to get a brew on with it yet?
I'm 90% of the way to deciding to buy one myself so the more reports I can read, the better :D

Cheers Tom

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 pm

soupdragon wrote:I'm presuming that you leave the power on max during the boil or do you take it down a notch?
Oh and approx how much dead space under the filter?

Cheers. Tom
Yes leave power at full for the boil . I estimate about 1/2 ltr is left once you tip it forward at the end to drain the last bit out .
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt