New Grainfather

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: New Grainfather

Post by Dave S » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:16 am

bryanferry wrote:Thanks Dave, I was all for sticking with the current controller but that info throws the cat amongst the pigeon! Brewed a batch of rye IPA with mine yesterday morning and it kept overshooting the 67c mash temp. Also had a very slow sparge so had to turn off before it boiled over. the new controllers slow down to boil would have been handy.
Yes, it promises a lot, but if the PID functionality can stop or at least minimise temperature overshoot it will be well worth the money. I'm currently using the flashed STC-1000 which is a great improvement on the original STC-200 but it still suffers from overshoot despite having a better algorithm for element control.
Best wishes

Dave

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:54 am

Hairybiker wrote:
IPA wrote: The price increase is due to the drop in value of sterling. Along with everything else that is imported.
Something that Boris and company failed to point out.
Nope, they CLEARLY stated that the price increase on the mk3 would be because of the new controller. This was LONG before britexit.
In that case prepare yourself for another price increase.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Dave S wrote:
joe1002 wrote:I used a GF today in their comp, I must say I was rather impressed with it.

IMO, the new controller is a lot better, mainly because it uses a pid for the element and you don't have to keep lifting a flap to use the switches / buttons. It doesn't have have hop addition reminders like the bm nor does it do programable recipes or automatic mash programs (you have to change the temp yourself rather than being automatic). They are nice to haves I guess and step mashes are perfectly doable on the GF.

I was very impressed with the hop spider, having never used one before.
This is what I've had from the GF UK guy who has used the new controller

If you're using the app, you can program the recipe in like you can on the current app. It will alert you when it's time to dough in and will automatically increase the temps based on the schedule you've set on the app. It will alert you when to heat sparge water, when the mash is finished and turn off the pump. If you have notifications allowed, it'll tell you on your phone/tablet as well as beeping at the machine. It's programmed to heat up during the sparge but stops at 98c until you've told it you've finished the sparge (to prevent it boiling over with the grainbasket sat on top). When it's boiling, it alerts you to additions based on your programmed recipe and of course when it's finished.

You can program a step mash on the controller itself if you don't want to use the app - you can also set the temperature manually, turn the heat and pump on and off and set a timer. You can also set a delayed heat too, so if you want to mash in as soon as you walk through the door, you can dial it in.

The power that's going to the element is displayed - when it's approaching mash temp it slows down so as not to overshoot and reduces the power to something like 3% to maintain temps, increasing as necessary. There's no need for the mash setting on the Grainfather itself now, so you can turn it to normal and leave it there with the new controller.

It indicates that recipes can be imported from say BS and pretty well everything is automated, including Hop addition alarms during the boil.

Although I currently use the Flashed STC which is a great improvement, I have the new controller on pre-order. It should be shipping in the Next couple of weeks
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the app.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:20 pm

From what I understand you can do it all at the GF also, apart from importing recipes of course. I'll let you all know when I get to grips with it.
Best wishes

Dave

ryanshelton
Tippler

Post by ryanshelton » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:21 pm

joe1002 wrote:
Dave S wrote:
joe1002 wrote:I used a GF today in their comp, I must say I was rather impressed with it.

IMO, the new controller is a lot better, mainly because it uses a pid for the element and you don't have to keep lifting a flap to use the switches / buttons. It doesn't have have hop addition reminders like the bm nor does it do programable recipes or automatic mash programs (you have to change the temp yourself rather than being automatic). They are nice to haves I guess and step mashes are perfectly doable on the GF.

I was very impressed with the hop spider, having never used one before.
This is what I've had from the GF UK guy who has used the new controller

If you're using the app, you can program the recipe in like you can on the current app. It will alert you when it's time to dough in and will automatically increase the temps based on the schedule you've set on the app. It will alert you when to heat sparge water, when the mash is finished and turn off the pump. If you have notifications allowed, it'll tell you on your phone/tablet as well as beeping at the machine. It's programmed to heat up during the sparge but stops at 98c until you've told it you've finished the sparge (to prevent it boiling over with the grainbasket sat on top). When it's boiling, it alerts you to additions based on your programmed recipe and of course when it's finished.

You can program a step mash on the controller itself if you don't want to use the app - you can also set the temperature manually, turn the heat and pump on and off and set a timer. You can also set a delayed heat too, so if you want to mash in as soon as you walk through the door, you can dial it in.

The power that's going to the element is displayed - when it's approaching mash temp it slows down so as not to overshoot and reduces the power to something like 3% to maintain temps, increasing as necessary. There's no need for the mash setting on the Grainfather itself now, so you can turn it to normal and leave it there with the new controller.

It indicates that recipes can be imported from say BS and pretty well everything is automated, including Hop addition alarms during the boil.

Although I currently use the Flashed STC which is a great improvement, I have the new controller on pre-order. It should be shipping in the Next couple of weeks
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the app.
The app is in beta mode and WILL NOT he available for a while yet. I asked Dave yesterday and that's what I was told.

Imake_UK

Post by Imake_UK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi folks- I hope I'm not posting out of turn here, if I am then i'll totally understand if mods delete this post.

I was at the brew off on Friday but then my wife went into labour in the early hours of Saturday so I had to rush home otherwise I would have been on hand to clear up some of these points. I've been lucky enough to use the new controller a few times so am probably best placed to answer some questions about it. Also the beta version has only been on IOS so Dave who was there over the weekend was unable to show off the features. The full version will be available on Android too.

I'm not trying to promote the product here, just correct/confirm a few points.

Firstly - my apologies for the misunderstanding at the BeerTorrent Brew off - the app should be released about the same time as the controller so it'll be fully functional from the get go. You will be able to export your recipe to it and it will alert at hop additions, increase temps automatically on step mashes and even tell you when to turn on the heat to the sparge water etc... It controls temps much more accurately like you'd expect from the PID algorithm.

Secondly there was always going to be a price increase but due to the problems with sterling the increase is more than we first planned on. We've taken a hit for a good while now because we didn't want to have two increases so close together so this new price reflects both increases in costs our end. We have no further increases planned.

Also you can program mash steps on the controller and set a delayed start, but if you're not using the app, you'll not have alerts for hop additions, but you can use the timer to keep things organised (I used to use the timer on the microwave which soon went to pot as soon as my wife wanted to use it!) The app allows you to set the time and date you want the heat to kick in but the controller lets you set hours and minutes - that sort of thing. It's so easy to use and it comes with full instructions.

I hope that helps, but if anyone has any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them provided that doesn't break forum rules.

Cheers
Mark

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:36 pm

Hairybiker wrote:
IPA wrote: The price increase is due to the drop in value of sterling. Along with everything else that is imported.
Nope, they CLEARLY stated that the price increase on the mk3 would be because of the new controller. This was LONG before britexit.
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... uctId=1967

So £100 is now £109 that's a 9% increase due to the the drop in value of sterling don't say I didn't warn you. Just watch your household bills rise in the coming months.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:12 pm

IPA wrote:
Hairybiker wrote:
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... uctId=1967

So £100 is now £109 that's a 9% increase due to the the drop in value of sterling don't say I didn't warn you. Just watch your household bills rise in the coming months.
It's always been £109 since it was first announced. I think HB was just rounding figures, though £110 would have been a closer rounding :) .
Best wishes

Dave

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:27 pm

I wasn't sure of the amount as they hadn't stated the cost of the new controller, only that it would be about £100 when I last checked. As I have said I ain't interested in it so didn't check into it.
That's why I said £100. :D

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:30 pm

It's certainly been £109 since before Brexit and before the pound nose dived.
Best wishes

Dave

crofter

Post by crofter » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Well I already have mine on order now for the simple fact it lights up blue and looks nice :D

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:08 pm

crofter wrote:Well I already have mine on order now for the simple fact it lights up blue and looks nice :D
Ditto :=P
Best wishes

Dave