New Braumeister Owner Questions

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
McMullan

Re: New Braumeister Owner Questions

Post by McMullan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:31 pm

I've done over 150 brews using a BM. Tried 'no sparge' several times, but I'd say rinsing the grains (sparging) is better, in terms of efficiency. I normally use 23L liquor and 6-7L sparge, unless I'm making a bigger beer and pack the malt pipe, where I use 25L liquor and at least 6L sparge.

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:37 pm

McMullan wrote:I've done over 150 brews using a BM. Tried 'no sparge' several times, but I'd say rinsing the grains (sparging) is better, in terms of efficiency. I normally use 23L liquor and 6-7L sparge, unless I'm making a bigger beer and pack the malt pipe, where I use 25L liquor and at least 6L sparge.
Same for me. I used to do 23 plus 6 to sparge, as per Speidel recipes. Now for ease, I do 25 + 4. 25 is obviously easier due to the volume markings.
Using Tapatalk

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:45 pm

I fill up to the 25L mark then drain off 2L.

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Ok, so this time I filled to 25L, drained off 2 and sparged with 3 litres. This with a 60 minute boil gave me about 18L in the fermenter BUT I was doing the boil inside this time so there's a chance it was more vigerous because of that. So next time I think I'll sparge with 4.5 litres and see if that gets me to where I need to be. I use a domestic kettle with variable temperature which holds 1.5L so it's easy to measure. I haven't tasted any of my brews yet so I don't know if my recipes are going to be anywhere near the mark but we'll see in a few weeks..

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:24 pm

23L and 3L sparge is looking good for my brews that I'm doing for standard 19L corny kegs.

nibber
Steady Drinker

Post by nibber » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:33 pm

I thought the whole point of the Braumeister system is you don't have to sparge? :mrgreen:

woblylegs
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by woblylegs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:38 pm

nibber wrote:I thought the whole point of the Braumeister system is you don't have to sparge? :mrgreen:
you dont have to but imo why would you not when theres still sugars that you can get out?
i always sparg as i think its a waste not to.
lifes what you make it!

nibber
Steady Drinker

Post by nibber » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 pm

I always do, but according to Speidels manual on page 15-and quoted
This process is known
as “sparging” (process not essential). This is called sparging and is performed by
pouring water at 78°C (max 78°C – do not use boiling water) :D

Mashman

Post by Mashman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:25 pm

you dont have to but imo why would you not when theres still sugars that you can get out?
But how much sugar? It is not a conventional mash, the liquor is constantly being pumped through the grain. I never sparge now although I do press down on the top filter to get the most of the wort I can.

M
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

woblylegs

Post by woblylegs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Mashman wrote:
But how much sugar? It is not a conventional mash, the liquor is constantly being pumped through the grain. I never sparge now although I do press down on the top filter to get the most of the wort I can.

M
check with a refractometer if you can, you will see what its at.
lifes what you make it!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:16 pm

nibber wrote:I thought the whole point of the Braumeister system is you don't have to sparge? :mrgreen:
It's optional, but it increases efficiency (therefore reduces waste). And, apart from giving you something to do, it can be quite therapeutic, whilst listening to Black Sabbath :D