Grainfather or Bulldog Brewer

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
shepp

Re: Grainfather or Bulldog Brewer

Post by shepp » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Interested to see you can get a shorter pipe for 10 litre brews.

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ac ... 10219.html

Tomp
Steady Drinker

Post by Tomp » Sat May 27, 2017 8:32 pm

After a long hard think I opted for the Bulldog.

Benefits (IMHO):

1. Much cheaper
2. Wort chiller easier to clean (I can see the GF getting really dirty)
3. When used with the Bulldog Sparg tank, the pump allows simple sparging

3 brews in, I'm happy with the decision. Would have liked the GF, but couldn't justify the extra cash.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun May 28, 2017 12:40 pm

Tomp wrote:After a long hard think I opted for the Bulldog.

Benefits (IMHO):

1. Much cheaper
2. Wort chiller easier to clean (I can see the GF getting really dirty)
3. When used with the Bulldog Sparg tank, the pump allows simple sparging

3 brews in, I'm happy with the decision. Would have liked the GF, but couldn't justify the extra cash.
Been brewing with GF for 18 months and not had a problem with the CFC getting dirty. You do need to clean it though after each brew, (I clean mine before each brew also) by recirculating with their or PBW cleaner
Best wishes

Dave

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sun May 28, 2017 2:09 pm

I doubt there would be an issue with the GF chiller, it's just a CFC and they're very easy to clean. Used a GF yesterday for the first time, impressed, all very easy. However the mobile app seems a bit buggy and wanted to set the unit to the wrong temperature on multiple occasions (had imported a recipe from Beersmith).
Dan!

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sun May 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Andy wrote:I doubt there would be an issue with the GF chiller, it's just a CFC and they're very easy to clean. Used a GF yesterday for the first time, impressed, all very easy. However the mobile app seems a bit buggy and wanted to set the unit to the wrong temperature on multiple occasions (had imported a recipe from Beersmith).
Were you using the Apple version or the Android version? The latter is a known disaster and is being re-written. I've recently been testing the Beta version and it seems fine. Official release due in a week or so. Can't speak for the Apple offering though, never used it.
Best wishes

Dave

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sun May 28, 2017 5:15 pm

It was the iOS Apple version. At two different temp change points it tried to set the wrong temperature. i.e. it wanted to mash at 71 degC which was actually the strike temperature.
Dan!

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sun May 28, 2017 6:42 pm

Andy wrote:It was the iOS Apple version. At two different temp change points it tried to set the wrong temperature. i.e. it wanted to mash at 71 degC which was actually the strike temperature.
They need to know about that, if they don't already. With all the problems they've had with the Android App, they might have taken their eye off the iOS ball a bit.
Best wishes

Dave

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Very pleased with my bulldog brewer, good value for money and brewing good beer. Another step forward in my OG brewing. Allot quicker, simple, and less hassle as well.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:14 pm

GF no getting down on hands n knees to read the controls and they lift off for cleaning. It's only disadvantage is higher price.

aamcle

BackO'Th'Shed

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:36 pm

For me it was the new controller and the build quality that convinced me to pay extra for the Grainfather over the Bulldog Brewer. I've done three brews now (two with stepped mashes) having pre-programmed the recipe for each through the online recipe builder. I can just set it to go and receive a reminder when I need to sparge or add hops etc. which makes brewing with a toddler much easier than with my old 3 tier setup (no more decoction mashes!). The quality of beer is much better than my old system as I can get much clearer wort into the FV and have also seen an increase in my mash efficiency. The build quality appeared to be superior on the Grainfather when I compared them side-by-side in the LHBS, but the Bulldog Brewer is still a great piece of kit for the price. Very impressed so far and don't regret paying the extra £200.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:10 pm

BackO'Th'Shed wrote:For me it was the new controller and the build quality that convinced me to pay extra for the Grainfather over the Bulldog Brewer. I've done three brews now (two with stepped mashes) having pre-programmed the recipe for each through the online recipe builder. I can just set it to go and receive a reminder when I need to sparge or add hops etc. which makes brewing with a toddler much easier than with my old 3 tier setup (no more decoction mashes!). The quality of beer is much better than my old system as I can get much clearer wort into the FV and have also seen an increase in my mash efficiency. The build quality appeared to be superior on the Grainfather when I compared them side-by-side in the LHBS, but the Bulldog Brewer is still a great piece of kit for the price. Very impressed so far and don't regret paying the extra £200.
Yes, the GF is a great piece of kit. Now if only they could get the App straightened out :roll:
Best wishes

Dave

Orwell

Post by Orwell » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 pm

I have just bought the GF and a 15L AG kit from my LHBS for £675
I may have got it a little cheaper had I shopped around but I do like to support a local business.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:54 pm

Orwell wrote:I have just bought the GF and a 15L AG kit from my LHBS for £675
I may have got it a little cheaper had I shopped around but I do like to support a local business.
Congrats n Happy brewing..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(