New Grainfather Controller

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: New Grainfather Controller

Post by Fil » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:51 pm

Had a quick look/search for any info on the coms protocol and command set?
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Must say that I am getting very tempted now to buy one .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:28 pm

FUBAR wrote:Must say that I am getting very tempted now to buy one .
Go on, you know you're going to :mrgreen:
Best wishes

Dave

Rad

Post by Rad » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:11 pm

I'd love to see one in action. As I understand you no longer need to switch between the elements?

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Correct - the controller has PID logic to vary the voltage output depending on what heat is required.

Rad

Post by Rad » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:21 pm

I was ordering some ingredients and parts for a keezer I'm planning and I "accidentally" bought the controller :twisted: .

Unfortunately the first impression ins't great. The options you can set through the unit are very basic. If you make a mistake you can't go back, you have to program the whole mash cycle from scratch. My biggest gripe with it is the beeping on every button press, soo annoying. I hope there'll be a way turn it off. Shame the android app isn't ready yet.

One other thing that threw me were the side vents. While the panel is now waterproof the unit as whole much less so than the old controller. The vents are are directed downwards so an overflow is unlikely to get inside the unit but dust will be building up inside.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Rad wrote:I was ordering some ingredients and parts for a keezer I'm planning and I "accidentally" bought the controller :twisted: .

Unfortunately the first impression ins't great. The options you can set through the unit are very basic. If you make a mistake you can't go back, you have to program the whole mash cycle from scratch. My biggest gripe with it is the beeping on every button press, soo annoying. I hope there'll be a way turn it off. Shame the android app isn't ready yet.

One other thing that threw me were the side vents. While the panel is now waterproof the unit as whole much less so than the old controller. The vents are are directed downwards so an overflow is unlikely to get inside the unit but dust will be building up inside.
Yes, without the App there is only the Step Mash you can program in, and I agree, a way to be able to step back or cancel if you make a mistake would be good without having to pull the plug and start again. Hopefully the App will allow for this.
Best wishes

Dave