ACE one-pot brewing system

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
soupdragon
Under the Table

Re: ACE one-pot brewing system

Post by soupdragon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Been doing a bit of research.

Foil lined camping mats or radiator insulation seem to be popular. Any thoughts which would give the best results? I'm thinking, based on IPA's post that the foil backed foam mat might be the best option.

Cheers. Tom

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:03 pm

I use a foil lined camping mat on my 33l pot. Insulates very well. I bought 2 but only used 1. In the summer I take it off once up to boil as the boil becomes too vigorous.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Just ordered one from Tesco. £3.30 click and collect :D

Cheers Tom

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Down to £310 for a short period. Pre order sent 1st Feb

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:34 pm

soupdragon wrote:Just ordered one from Tesco. £3.30 click and collect :D

Cheers Tom
The foil looks a bit thin. Feels like it'll easily rip. Time will tell though but I don't want bits of foam melting onto my new shiny thing :(

Cheers. Tom

lordnoise

Post by lordnoise » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Good to see the Ace system is back on ebay at a good price - £310 pre-ordered for delivery in early Feb. Thanks to Jean Luc for the link to one being put thru its paces over in Ireland. It certainly looks solid enough although on colder days some sort of insulation jacket does looks useful. When you consider that the only thing you don't get (in relation to the Grainfather at around £590) is the counter chiller its a great price. My fingers itching to click 'buy it now' but will hold off for another few days just in case anyone else comes up with negatives [-(

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Tom, the foil is a bit thin but is perfectly fine. I use luggage straps to hold it on so I can easily remove it to clean the pot etc.

I was a bit concerned that it might stick but mine hasn't at all.

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:31 pm

The ace has the same pump as the grainfather. 310 is a great price for what you are getting. Another 90 bucks on a good chiller and this is a great system. No need for a sparge heater either are there is plenty of capacity for full volume mash, just drop the efficiency and use a bit more grain in the mash

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:33 pm

alexlark wrote:Tom, the foil is a bit thin but is perfectly fine. I use luggage straps to hold it on so I can easily remove it to clean the pot etc.

I was a bit concerned that it might stick but mine hasn't at all.
Excellent news

With a bit of luck I'll finally get to use it in anger this weekend. I'm rather looking forward to it :D

Cheers. Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:36 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:The ace has the same pump as the grainfather. 310 is a great price for what you are getting. Another 90 bucks on a good chiller and this is a great system. No need for a sparge heater either are there is plenty of capacity for full volume mash, just drop the efficiency and use a bit more grain in the mash
Do you know what temperature the pump is rated at? The instructions are a bit "vague" on the subject

Cheers. Tom

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

ACE one-pot brewing system

Post by dbambrick996 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:15 pm

soupdragon wrote:
dbambrick996 wrote:The ace has the same pump as the grainfather. 310 is a great price for what you are getting. Another 90 bucks on a good chiller and this is a great system. No need for a sparge heater either are there is plenty of capacity for full volume mash, just drop the efficiency and use a bit more grain in the mash
Do you know what temperature the pump is rated at? The instructions are a bit "vague" on the subject

Cheers. Tom
The model is mp 10rn
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/760066872 ... sitedetail&

But the grainfather works with a counter flow chiller that pumps boiling wort through it so I would imagine it has to handle 100 degree +

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:09 am

soupdragon wrote:
soupdragon wrote:Just ordered one from Tesco. £3.30 click and collect :D

Cheers Tom
The foil looks a bit thin. Feels like it'll easily rip. Time will tell though but I don't want bits of foam melting onto my new shiny thing :(

Cheers. Tom
Pay that little bit more and buy the one from Decathlon. Not only will it provide better insulation it will last much longer. Believe me I tried the cheaper version first.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:24 am

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Nice but I would get more cheap ones as they soon get a bit grubby then you can replace with new.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:55 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:The model is mp 10rn
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/760066872 ... sitedetail&

But the grainfather works with a counter flow chiller that pumps boiling wort through it so I would imagine it has to handle 100 degree +
Good spot, reasonable price if it ever needs replacing.
I can't see me recirculating boiling wort yet though, maybe when I get around to making a hopback type thing. I'd need to pre filter though as the inlet to the pump has no filter. Did think about using the grain basket as a hop spider but the general consensus seems to be that it would affect the boil too much :(

Cheers Tom