Elements

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
lefkasman

Elements

Post by lefkasman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:08 pm

At the moment I BIAB. I've often considered buying a single pot brewing system. Apart from the cost and the fact that I only make English beers( single step mashes) what bothers me is the size of the heating element in these things.
I have 2* 2.4 elements in a beer keg at the moment, one of which is connected to a control dial so I can get a good rolling boil going.
I also treat my water so need to boil about 38 ltrs allowing for evaporation for about half an hour for a 23 ltr brew.
Do these various makes of brewer allow you enough space to do that and do they keep a good rolling boil going? I brew outside albeit in Greece which in winter isn't a great deal warmer than the UK .

mbarn
Piss Artist

Re: Elements

Post by mbarn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:00 pm

I believe the 20l Braumeister is a 40l kettle, but with grain you'd struggle to fit more than low 30's of litres of water.
It's fairly easy to end up with 23l in to the fermenter.
The BM has a gentle but obvious boil as standard, or a fairly vigorous one with the hood.
To be honest, despite owning a 2015 BM, I'd buy the new Grainfather if I was setting up today.
Using Tapatalk

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:06 am

fwiw the grainfather will maintain a good rolling boil alright ;) and with a 27l preboil volume there is a 4l boil off for a 23l final volume.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

lefkasman

Post by lefkasman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for the answers. All the homebrew shops in Athens seem to sell the grain father. I'm no electrician but after also looking at induction hobs it seems that a 3 kW hob can chuck out more heat than 2 ,2.5 kW kettle elements.
Seems like the elements in the grain father are enough from what you say.