GF and grain crush

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Re: GF and grain crush

Post by BrannigansLove » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:59 am

johnluc wrote:
johnluc wrote:Hi all, a question for GF owners, bought a 3 roller malt mill and did my first crush at 1.1ml gap, all through the sparge it was just cascading down the overflow tube for the whole duration of mash, at end of sparge the top plate was about 2" above the grain bed and covered in flour, ended up very cloudy and very fine particles in fermenter, 2nd brew i crushed at 1.2ml gap and got the same results all be it not quite as bad. have had my GF for over a year now and never had this before using pre crushed. any thoughts?
Hi all, strange day today, i conditioned my grains set my rollers at 1.0ml no more problem with bits of grain or cloudy wort, hit all my targets, "BUT" throughout the mash i had a substantial amount of foam on top, my grain bill was 3.4k MO, 210gm crystal and 100gm of black malt. any other GF users had this happen.?
I've had extensive foam in my GF when I haven't seated the recirc pipe properly, and it's drawing through air. This generally happens if I haven't held the recirc pipe vertically when screwing it in place.

johnluc
Steady Drinker

Post by johnluc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi all, strange day today, i conditioned my grains set my rollers at 1.0ml no more problem with bits of grain or cloudy wort, hit all my targets, "BUT" throughout the mash i had a substantial amount of foam on top, my grain bill was 3.4k MO, 210gm crystal and 100gm of black malt. any other GF users had this happen.?
I've had extensive foam in my GF when I haven't seated the recirc pipe properly, and it's drawing through air. This generally happens if I haven't held the recirc pipe vertically when screwing it in place.[/quote][/quote]

Hopefully now got it sorted, i was not tightening the recirc pipe tight enough as it was unscrewing the ball valve when disconnecting.

Rad

Post by Rad » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Wow, funny you say that. Next brew after I posted. I had the same foaming problem. I do remember the ball valve and the safety valve coming apart a bit. It was not leaking and hot so I left it like that till the end of the mash. This will be my fist thing to check if it happens again.