Thinking about a Grainfather or similar

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Fastline
Hollow Legs

Thinking about a Grainfather or similar

Post by Fastline » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:23 pm

I've got all the kit to build a shiny 3 vessel setup but time has been an issue, i've not currently really got the space for the 3 vessel system either

I'm part way through a shed build but think this will progress more once the weather warms up.

I've brewed loads of kits and done a few stovetop 1 Gallon all grain brews, clarity is a bit of an issue with my stovetop brews

I'm keen to get on with all grain brewing and thinking a Grainfather or maybe an ace system might be a short term / long term solution

I don't seem to have much spare time so I like the idea of the Grainfathers new control notifying me to do stuff.

I'm not quiet decided as its a bit of money to way out so could do with a bit of convincing, curious to know how long from start to finish that a brew can be done.

What's peoples opinions on there systems

And what's the best price for one

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Thinking about a Grainfather or similar

Post by Secla » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:42 pm

I swapped from a 3v to a grainfather
Cut brewdays down to 4-4.5 hours and a lot of that can be unattended

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Well might have to wait a bit, just had to buy a new cooker.

Got gas hob this time so might make small batch quicker.

So grainthather slipping out of sight, the ace is priced much lower so might be the answer

Wonder how easy it would be to connect the grainfather connect to the ace

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:47 am

if you mean connect a grainfather controller to an ace boiler, for the element power the g/f uses kettle type plug and socket, However the G?F uses an A/C 240v pump while the ace system uses DC pumps iirc? So pump control wouldnt be straight forward to power directly from a grainfather controller.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:26 am

Would be interesting to know for sure what pump is used on the ace 30l, The one with it in the base.

I thought I had read somewhere that the grainfather and Ace used the same pump not 100% sure.

Is there any ace owners who could pop the bottom off there system and see what it says on the pump data plate.

How many elements does grainfather have again just thinking I read on one site that it has 2, a 2000w and a 500w is that correct?

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:14 am

Fastline wrote:Would be interesting to know for sure what pump is used on the ace 30l, The one with it in the base.

I thought I had read somewhere that the grainfather and Ace used the same pump not 100% sure.

Is there any ace owners who could pop the bottom off there system and see what it says on the pump data plate.

How many elements does grainfather have again just thinking I read on one site that it has 2, a 2000w and a 500w is that correct?
You are correct about the GF elements. With the old style controller, you'd have to switch between the 2000W and 500W depending on whether you were mashing or boiling. With the new controller, it uses PID and only utilises the 2000W element.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:32 pm

So does the new grainfather not have two elements now, is there other changes?

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Fastline wrote:So does the new grainfather not have two elements now, is there other changes?
As far as I'm aware, they're still using the old design for the actual body of the machine, it's only the controller that's altered. I imagine that in a few months, when they've cleared the current stock, they'll ditch the 500W element.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:18 am

Fastline wrote:Would be interesting to know for sure what pump is used on the ace 30l, The one with it in the base.

Ace pump http://m.imgur.com/CltPszO?r

Cheers. Tom