Any deals for a GF and a couple of questions...

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Any deals for a GF and a couple of questions...

Post by Manngold » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi all,

After doing BIAB for about two years I think that I want to step up, but don't necessarily want the hassle of having a 3V system. The Grainfather looks like a good step up for me as has the options to really play around with temp control and potentially cut down the time it takes for a brew day. I brewed last week (BIAB) and it took me approx 7 hours and 30 minutes from start to finish. Is the GF a step in the right direction for me, in your opinion?

Secondly, anyone know of any deals at the moment?

Thirdly, I want to be able to use my iPad or Kindle with the system, do I need to buy the additional controller to do this?

Fourthly, I have been offered the chance to buy a USED GF for about £400, friend of a friend of a friend, is it worth the risk or should I buy new?

Lastly, any 'essential' things I should also buy with it, or could I use it easily just out of the box?

Thanks all - read a fair few posts recently and the GF seems to be the model of choice for most with regards to affordability etc.

John

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Re: Any deals for a GF and a couple of questions...

Post by Fastline » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:28 pm

I have been considering a grainfather, the best deal I have seen is £750 from Geterbrewed, you get a sparge water heater with this and that is with the latest control oh and you can get an all grain kit with it.

The new control has some real nice features, which I think will let you get on with your life rather than being a slave to the boiler.

The second hand route is ok until the element burns out next week and then where do you stand.

There are cheaper systems but the grainfather seems to be very good value when you take into account what you get with it, some of which you may not need.

Maybe the way to look at it is to sell your current kit to partly fund the purchase of new.

Generally feedback is positive on the Grainfather

Go for it, I'm only in Eltham maybe I could use it when your not lol

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Fastline - great plan.

I saw the offer you mentioned and it certainly seems reasonable in comparison to other places. I am trying to convince the wife. I do have a nice pot from Mr Lard that I had made for BIAB that I could sell.

Thanks

james1988
Piss Artist

Post by james1988 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Manngold,

I've just (as in half an hour ago) ordered my Grainfather from lovebrewing.co.uk (http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/grainfather/). They have the older controller so if you can live with that then it will save you a bit more cash; I paid £594 including delivery. I've read on here that you can sparge with cold water so I'll be giving that a go before splashing out on a boiler - that said I already have a boiler that I could continue to use.

James

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm

The sparge water heater isn't great for the money imo

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks all.

Just two more questions:

1. When I get to my mash temp with it, does it automatically cut out and then come back on when the temp dips, or do I need to manually do that?

2. If I didn't want to sparge, for whatever reason, could I do a 30 l mash and let it boil down to 23l, or there about a?

Thanks

john luc

Post by john luc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 pm

After building a great 3 vessel system I sold it to another local club member and got a Grainfather. I just love the grainfather and so some of my other mighty build it brewers refer to me as the fisher price brewer because its so easy to use its child's play. :=P
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks. I guess that only leaves me with one final thing. Is it noticeably better than the CBulldog Brewer? Trying to justify the extra £200 - £250. The only things I can personally see are:

1. Build looks more polished
2. Control hub seems better
3. Chiller is faster
4. Customer service is great - not saying the Bulldog isn't, just haven't seen it mentioned.

John

john luc

Post by john luc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:35 pm

In my opinion the Grainfather is the polished item over the others at this point in time.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Everyone says the chiller is really fast, this would probably cost £100 so brings the difference down to around £100 - £150 for something that has excellent reviews on quality, service and all those little extra features on that control.

I'm in same boat, except I have already spent small fortune on shiny 3 vessel kit that I have got to build a shed to use.

If you can afford it go for it, you only live once.