Brewer's friend software for BM/GF

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Onthebrew

Brewer's friend software for BM/GF

Post by Onthebrew » Wed May 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Afternoon Chaps

Does anyone with a BM or GF use brewersfriend?

i do and i am not sure how to set it up because it quite often gets PH wrong. So much so, with the last brew i ended making quite a few adjustments to hit 5.3 on brewers friend, but ended up with an actual mash ph of 4.9. Should have left well alone!

any tips welcome!

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Brewer's friend software for BM/GF

Post by Dave S » Wed May 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Onthebrew wrote:Afternoon Chaps

Does anyone with a BM or GF use brewersfriend?

i do and i am not sure how to set it up because it quite often gets PH wrong. So much so, with the last brew i ended making quite a few adjustments to hit 5.3 on brewers friend, but ended up with an actual mash ph of 4.9. Should have left well alone!

any tips welcome!
Take no notice of pH values that have been calculated by software. If the alkalinity of your water is in the right range and you have a healthy dose of calcium in the Mash, the pH will (almost) certainly be in the correct range. I brew with a GF but don't use Brewers Friend. My Mash pH is sometimes on the high side but not out of range.
Best wishes

Dave

Onthebrew

Re: Brewer's friend software for BM/GF

Post by Onthebrew » Thu May 04, 2017 2:26 pm

your probably right Dave, may give up on the software and just go with experience and notes and just tweak brew by brew. i reckon if i hadnt had followed the software in would have been bang on last time.