New Grainfather question

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

New Grainfather question

Post by Manngold » Tue May 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi all. First off, can't see that this has been asked or any info on it.

I just received my Grainfather from Balliihoo, they had a promo code so got it sub £530, which was why I pulled the trigger. Just opened it all up and there are visible scratches on the inside of the main unit (not grain basket) just above where the temp probe is, but in the opposite direction. There are also some dents on the putter part of this, two in total. Should it be shipped like this, I only ask as can see some marks where they have pressed the pipe work on etc.

Also my discharge pipe and thermometer probe cover came assembled to the unit. Is this normal for the newer models

So I guess what I am asking is whether or not this is normal, would take photos, but they don't come out very well.

Thanks

John

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Re: New Grainfather question

Post by ciderhead » Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 pm

530! was it discounted because of the damage or a display model?
I see they are selling it for 699?

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Hmmm, it certainly wasn't listed as damaged, it was £579 originally as had the older style controller, but they had a 10% discount code for May for the entire site. I guess, it won't ruin the overall experience of the Grainfather, just was hoping for it to be near enough perfect. I will ring them tomorrow and find out.

On a side note, most images show the black base as having a switch for mash and boil, this one just has the standard off and on and the mash boil is on the control unit. Is that a feature of the mk2 or mk3 models?

Thanks

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Tue May 30, 2017 9:54 pm

On the most recent one I have with connect there is just an on off switch on the base

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue May 30, 2017 10:05 pm

ciderhead wrote:On the most recent one I have with connect there is just an on off switch on the base
Thanks, I assume I have the same. Was the discharge pump installed on yours?

Thanks

goldthirst
Tippler

Post by goldthirst » Wed May 31, 2017 12:08 am

The discharge pump was pre-assembled on my Grainfather when I got it at the end of March. I do have a very small dent lower down on the outer shell but I didn't find any scratches. Mine also has the newer controller and just the one switch.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Wed May 31, 2017 10:23 am

If it has the older controller then it should have a 2 way switch on the base of the unit for mash/normal as the controller only switches it on doesn't control the power.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Wed May 31, 2017 8:46 pm

Update for anyone that cares:

Spoke to Balliihoo, who have been exceptionally great with after care. It should not have been shipped like that, it was unopened by them, which I believe as it was immaculately sealed. They have my photos and are going to chase Grainfather directly for me (or whoever supplies them).

Would highly recommend them.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Fwiw My Mk1 G/f arrived fully assembled apart from the recirculation pipe which needed anchoring with a single nut/screw..

internal scratches can be made very easily simply pulling a full wet grain tube up/out for a sparge.. you may want to attend to the grain tube feet/standoffs with a file to deburr sharp edges to minimise this.. (that may just be a mk1 issue tho..)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks Fil. Will see how I get on.

Further update on this. Balliihoo have told me it was a displayed at some point and have given me some cash back as a sorry and good will gesture- which I wasn't expecting. All in all I have been very impressed with the customer care that they have shown and will definitely order from them again.

John

nibber
Steady Drinker

Post by nibber » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:13 pm

Sounds like a new model unit that has had an old controller fitted to it,mine is a first generation model with the dual switch on the base,i had to assemble mine completely from the box-maybe it was a new model one that was a display item that got scratched so they sold the new controller and fitted and old controller they had in stock. :mrgreen: :D

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 pm

Perhaps Nibber. Anyway I tested it and it works so all happy here!

Thanks all. Planning my first brew for tomorrow, can't wait.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:18 pm

Alls well that ends well ;) as my ol Mam would say.. enjoy brew #1 with the g/f,

just take time scooping grain in neatly, mash in well, and give the top plate an extra shove down ;)

ps a spray of starsan lubricates the grain tube allowing an easy slip down of the silicone gasket on the bottom tube plate, it can be a b*gger sticking and catching on the tube wall hooking itself off its place without the starsan lube..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:04 am

However IF there is NO mash switch then watch your mash temp carefully, as I suspect it will fluctuate wildly. You may even have to enter a lower temp to compensate.
OR buy a new controller with the money you have saved.

See how the first brew goes anyway.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Well the current picture on the GF site, with the new controller looks like it still has the two way switch, i.e. Normal, (2kW) and Mash, (500W). It's white instead of the black one I have on my model, but otherwise no change.

EDIT: Having said that I've just read the current operation instructions, they make no mention of the switch, neither is it visible on the diagram or parts list. So it looks like they may indeed have ditched it.
Best wishes

Dave