BM owners (and GF / aio owners) would you go back?

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Hodda
Steady Drinker

BM owners (and GF / aio owners) would you go back?

Post by Hodda » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:34 pm

As above, would you return to a 3V setup and why etc - love the idea of these but not sure if I need / want to go full 3v first

richard080561
Piss Artist

Re: BM owners (and GF / aio owners) would you go back?

Post by richard080561 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:07 pm

I went straight from kits to a Braumeister and am very pleased with my decision
Richard M
Cardiff

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 am

I went from a 2v to a BM and back again. I found several issues with the BM that cost me more to try and resolve than I found worth it, since going back I haven't had any of the same issues.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:23 am

Hodda wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:34 pm
As above, would you return to a 3V setup and why etc - love the idea of these but not sure if I need / want to go full 3v first
Eight years ago I bought my first BM a twenty litre model. I quickly realised that I had made a big mistake. It was so good that I sold it and bought a fifty litre. Subsequently I bought another twenty litre so now I have two. Would I go back?not likely. Once you have owned one you realise what a pain in the bum it is to use any other system. They make consistently brilliant beer every time. Leaving you to develop your beer styles. I think homebrewers fall into one of two categories. The Tinkerers or the Brewers. I am the latter. I can fully appreciate that money can be a big issue also but if it is not you cannot beat a Braumeister.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Mick56
Sober

Post by Mick56 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:39 am

Kyle_T wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 am
I went from a 2v to a BM and back again. I found several issues with the BM that cost me more to try and resolve than I found worth it, since going back I haven't had any of the same issues.
Wondering what issues you had?
It's not the cards your dealt it's the way you play them!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:29 am

It seems to be one of those things which suits some people very well and others less so. Some I know will never go back, others have done (or have no interest in going there to begin with) and some have both the BM/GF and a 3v system concurrently. They can all make good beer if used correctly, so in a sense neither is the wrong choice, but are quite different beasts to use; it can be a very personal choice.

However there are some generalities: if you aren't into DIYing or don't have time/facilities to, then an off-the-shelf system may give you better results; you can buy ready built 3v systems but BMs and GFs are much more popular. BMs and GFs (etc) do not at all replace the need for expertise if best quality beer is your aim, but they are probably easier to get going with - they have communities of users with almost the exact same kit to help you with advice, recipes designed specifically for them and so on. They are also compact and (depending on your regime) can be quicker and more convenient.

Conversely 3v systems can be built 'much' more cheaply (though they can also be expensive if wished). If/when something goes wrong or if you wish to make a change, then it is easier with a self-built setup. Unless you have some means of using a winch, I find 3v systems better for bigger brew lengths. It is slightly contentious, but I also find separate vessels a little more flexible and prefer their set of compromises to those of the one-vessel systems. I also suspect that I would have learned less about brewing with a GF or BM - not that they prevent it, but they are so well designed you may not have reason to think about things that would be encountered when building and using a 3v system.

I personally still enjoy the hands-on process of brewing, so the up-front programmed nature of BMs and GFs doesn't really appeal to me - I mostly make british styles of beer for which simple, single-temperature infusions are more than adequate, so it isn't too complex to do on the fly. But there is no doubt the computer approach can be convenient and practical, too. I can envisage my future will still include a more manual 3v kit for larger batches, when there is sufficient time to indulge in a full brew day, but also a smaller BM or GF that can more conveniently make smaller batches of an evening.
Kev

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 pm

I have a 150L 3V Setup and a 20L Braumeister . . . No not interested in going back to the 20L 3V setup.

The BM takes some 'adjusting' of techniques and methods but once done it's great bit of kit . . The same applies to the GF BTW

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:56 pm

IPA wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:23 am
Hodda wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:34 pm
I think homebrewers fall into one of two categories. The Tinkerers or the Brewers. I am the latter.
I fall into both them categories :) . I have built and used a 3 vessel electric system. But as it was not a permanent setup ( it was stored in the loft) i found i was brewing less and less due to having to lug everything down from the loft and then back up again when i had finished. I then made myself a one vessel BIAB system and used that alot more.

Two days ago i took delivery of a grainfather and i have only done the cleaning cycle with it so i can see how everything works. I dont think i will go back to a 3 vessel system now i have the grainfather unless i can have a permanent setup.

I certainly enjoyed making the 3 vessel system, design and building interests me as does the actual brewing :)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:40 pm

If I brewed big beers more often, I would consider it. Double mashing defeats much of the point of a BM, IMO. I've found a good alternative though. A tub of LME :wink: Using a BM I can get on with other things on brew day and that works for me. From a quality point of view, I can't fault a BM. I've had mine for 4-5 years and I usually brew at least one a week. I haven't had any issues with it (apart from the Braumeister logo falling off) and it still looks new. I could probably get most of my money back if I sold it today. What's not to like?

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:53 pm

I built a 3 vessel system and then later bought a grainfather. love the grainfather and would not go back.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:00 pm

I had a 3v set up for my move to all grain and for a small time a RIMS set up. I then bought a BM and haven't looked back. Having a young family I can get a brew on much easier as I can overnight mash then pick it up the next morning, yes I could do that with my old set up however cleaning the malt pipe and discs takes minutes and not a messy as cleaning a mash tun!. It works for me as 20L batches are enough as I like to brew often and usually different recipes each time. I also do the 'no sparge' method on most batches which again cuts time down.

I did enjoy the 3V set up for the brief time I used it however part of my wishes I just went straight from extract to the BM as it would have saved me a small fortune. I have been able to recoup a good portion but not all.

Hodda
Steady Drinker

Post by Hodda » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Some really informative opinions - thanks folks. For me, still on fence and more perusing needed!!

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Having gone from BIAB through plastic brewery, to SS 3V system, I am now very happy with my Grainfather. Wouldn't go back.
The GF just makes it easier to brew beer. Less clean up, less storage space etc etc.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:24 pm

I spent a year or two building up a 3v system only to sell the whole lot at a loss and buy a Braumeister.

I really wish that I had had the confidence to buy the BM at the start. I could never go back to the faff of tubing and pumps and all that, not to mention all the cleaning and storage space that 3v requires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shepp

Post by shepp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:19 pm

I have a GF and now wish I had bought a BM.
I like the position of the element and the way the wort is pushed upwards through the grain bed, not to mention the build quality.