Beersmith software with a grainfather

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
chefgage
Hollow Legs

Beersmith software with a grainfather

Post by chefgage » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:25 am

Just got myself a grainfather and I have had a go with it in terms of running a cleaning cycle so now on with the brewing :)

Question is about doing a mash out. I have created my recipe in beer smith. For the mash out i get an error saying something along the lines of 'infusion temperature too high'

Now i understand this is because to get the temp to 75' c using and addition of water, this amount of water would have to be well above boiling temperature to achieve the 75'c

But as I am using a temperature controlled recirculation method is there a way to tell beersmith this is happening.
Or do you just ignore that error message on the brew sheet?

BackO'Th'Shed

Re: Beersmith software with a grainfather

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 am

I use the Grainfather online recipe generator (https://www.grainfather.com/oauth/autho ... f341eec006). It works well with the app and calculates your mash and sparge water requirements more accurately for the grainfather setup than other brewing software can. I found that when I was using my old brewing software I was having to fudge certain inputs to get it to work (as you've found). There's also a library of everyone's shared recipes on there for you to brew if you wish.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks. I will take a look

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Is it this one? Your link did not work for me

http://brew.grainfather.com/recipes/create

BackO'Th'Shed

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Yes, that's the one. Sorry, not sure what happened with my link.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Created a couple of recipes earlier. I like its simple to use layout. They now show in the grainfather connect app as well now :)

Just waiting on the grain to be delivered now :)

BackO'Th'Shed

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 am

Yes, that's probably the biggest benefit of using it. One thing I've noticed though, if your recipe has any sugar additions then you'll need to adjust the mash liquor calculation as you'll end up with a thinner mash if you use the apps suggestion (the calculation includes sugar as grain so you end up with too much water). Hope it works well for you!

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:18 pm

BackO'Th'Shed wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 am
Yes, that's probably the biggest benefit of using it. One thing I've noticed though, if your recipe has any sugar additions then you'll need to adjust the mash liquor calculation as you'll end up with a thinner mash if you use the apps suggestion (the calculation includes sugar as grain so you end up with too much water). Hope it works well for you!
Going to be brewing my ESB on saturday, so fingers crossed it all goes well. Looking forward to not having to bring down my three vessel system/control panel/box of fittings etc.. from tje loft only to put it back up there a few hours later :)

DethApostle
Piss Artist

Post by DethApostle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:59 pm

I battled for 4 or 5 brews trying to get the Beersmith profile I had downloaded to tie in with the results I was getting and what the GF website calculator was telling me.
I think I am pretty much there with my current profile but still was 1l below target volume on my last brew so there is still tweaking to do!

DA
Demon Valley Brewing
2012 - 2020
--------------------------------
Total Brewed: 2560 pints
--------------------------------

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:38 pm

I went into the Javascript on the GF calculator website and the problem with trying to get those figures out of Beersmith is that the GF calculator essentially uses a flat figure of 2 litres for grain absorption for any grain bill under 7.5kg. Beersmith's is calculated per kg so, given that I usually brew with around 4.5kg, I set the absorption rate to 0.444 in BeerSmith and that got me as close as I need.