Cold Break from the Grainfather Counterflow Chiller

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
nigebeer

Cold Break from the Grainfather Counterflow Chiller

Post by nigebeer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Just made my first AG brew with the Grainfather, everything went very well and was also good fun.
When transferring the wort to the fermenter I noticed lots of cold break going in because it was forming due to the counterflow chiller crash cooling on the fly.
I usually use an immersion chiller in my old system and haven't had to worry about this before.
What do all you GF users normally do to resolve this?

tomgardner
Sober

Re: Cold Break from the Grainfather Counterflow Chiller

Post by tomgardner » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:37 pm

I don't worry about it. Cold break does not have any ill-effect on beer for homebrewers, and can (I've heard) act as yeast nutrient. I've stopped worrying about hot break getting in too, if it means pushing it and hops aside from the inlet filter to get the last of the wort out.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 pm

Well I have done dozens (if not 100+) brews with my GF and never had any issues. There is a web page floating about that discusses the relative benefits/falls of allowing trub into the FV. Consensus was no difference.

Just sit back and let it work, and enjoy a home brew :D

nigebeer

Post by nigebeer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 pm

That's really strange that the cold break could act like yeast nutrient, I just sprinkled the US05 onto the top of the wort and it was fermenting within approx an hour, never had one start that quick before.