iOS 11.2.5 Crashes Grainfather App; Warning

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

iOS 11.2.5 Crashes Grainfather App; Warning

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Some help and advice would be much appreciated.

I am a newbie to brewing and have jumped in at the deep end with all grain and Grainfather. I hope such an early post of a new topic does not break etiquette.

So far, I have one brew bottled and another in secondary Ferment, but they are looking promising.

I have several other recipes lined up in my Grainfather app on iPhone, all rather laboriously entered. As a rule, I do not upgrade the iOS software unless I have to do for a critical application or have no other choice. Unfortunately, I seem to have been caught out by an automatic upgrade to version 11.2.5. Restating the previous working version is barred by Apple. Not only is it ripping through my battery life, but more importantly, although I can see and open the Grainfather app, the current session for my brew in the fermenting vessel seems to be tracking satisfactorily.

However, as soon as I click on the recipe option it opens then any attempt to view the whole recipe or open it to edit or set as a new session automatically gives a black screen and shuts the app. I have no doubt it is one of the many bugs in this suboptimal iOS version of the software, but my recipes have not transferred to the iPad. The Grainfather Connect app may solve the problem, but I do not have Beer Smith or other software to import recipes.

I suspect I’m not the only person to have been caught by this inadvertent upgrade, any ideas would be most welcome as I would like to crack on with my third brew day in a week or so. Do I have to await resolution by either Grainfather or next iOS version, use iPad with retyped recipes, GF Connect app instead or any other solution?
Last edited by Kingfisher4 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Re: iOS 11.2.5 Crashes Grainfather App; Help please

Post by scotsloon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:42 am

There's bound to be a forum for iOS changes? You might try seeking it out and asking your questions there. It sounds like an iOS problem rather than either a brewing problem or a Grainfather problem.

robborover
Sober

Re: iOS 11.2.5 Crashes Grainfather App; Help please

Post by robborover » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 pm

[quote="Kingfisher4"]Some help and advice would be much appreciated.

I am a newbie to brewing and have jumped in at the deep end with all grain and Grainfather. I hope such an early post of a new topic does not break etiquette.

So far, I have one brew bottled and another in secondary Ferment, but they are looking promising.

I have several other recipes lined up in my Grainfather app on iPhone, all rather laboriously entered. As a rule, I do not upgrade the iOS software unless I have to do for a critical application or have no other choice. Unfortunately, I seem to have been caught out by an automatic upgrade to version 11.2.5. Restating the previous working version is barred by Apple. Not only is it ripping through my battery life, but more importantly, although I can see and open the Grainfather app, the current session for my brew in the fermenting vessel seems to be tracking satisfactorily.

However, as soon as I click on the recipe option it opens then any attempt to view the whole recipe or open it to edit or set as a new session automatically gives a black screen and shuts the app. I have no doubt it is one of the many bugs in this suboptimal iOS version of the software, but my recipes have not transferred to the iPad. The Grainfather Connect app may solve the problem, but I do not have Beer Smith or other software to import recipes.

I suspect I’m not the only person to have been caught by this inadvertent upgrade, any ideas would be most welcome as I would like to crack on with my third brew day in a week or so. Do I have to await resolution by either Grainfather or next iOS version, use iPad with retyped recipes, GF Connect app instead or any other solution?[/quote]

I’m on 11.2.5 and just tested and seen same issue. I would report it to GF as probably needs a fix for this version - connect app seems ok though.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: iOS 11.2.5 Crashes Grainfather App; Warning

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:05 am

Thanks, I had already searched the iOS issues hence the known bugs assumption.

Main reason for post was to warn others to avoid the same issue, secondarily I wondered if my ignorance of the choices of different ways to use the apps might offer any solutions or ways to use the grainfather better from here.

Tomp
Steady Drinker

Post by Tomp » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I used the app on Saturday at 10.2.5 and no problems.

I imported my recipe from Beersmith through Dropbox if that helps track the problem.
It started with kits to save money and now look........!!!

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

Could be worse :-)

Wilfy
Tippler

Post by Wilfy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:12 pm

I’m on iOS 11.3 and the recipe thingy crashes for me as well.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 am

It seems that this affects the "grainfather app" but not the grainfather connect app.

I have only discovered the (presumably) newer connect version since my original post but have transferred recipes into it typed on iPod and iMac which Synch via the "cloud facility " between all 3 including the iPhone so maybe problem solved??

Moment of truth will be trying to brew with it in a few days time.