Grainfather hop filter

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
gr_baker
Piss Artist

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by gr_baker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:39 am

I've finally had time to sit down and work out the change in hop weights due to reduced utilisation caused by a hop spider. Following this article https://www.grainfather.com/blog/week-5 ... hop-spider there's some formula to work out the weight of hops required to hit a certain IBU. I worked through the numbers in the example they gave and reduced the utilisation by 8%. The hops weight required went up by around 8% too. So I think that from the bittering point of view it's safe to just multiply the weight by around 8%.

However, most of our recipes have late hops for aroma and flavour. It's probably safe to assume that the hop spider will reduce the flavour/aroma by the same amount and multiply these by 8% too to hit the target IBU.

The Brulosophy article is here http://brulosophy.com/2016/03/21/kettle ... t-results/ They used a nylon bag rather than a spider but I expect that the effect will be similar. The biggest puzzle though was why the tested IBU is so much lower than Beersmith indicates even for the loose hops. There's a big discussion and a link to another discussion with a lot of input from Graham Wheeler on the ineffectiveness of Tinseth in calculating IBU. It's a different discussion but the effect of the hop spider may be small compared to the inaccuracy of the IBU calculation in the first place.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Perhaps you can minimise any loss in hop utilisation by using the pump to recirculate the boil through the hop spider, if using a double walled tight nylon mesh grain bag keep an eye on the level in the bag and throttle back the flow as necessary, Ive not done this with the g/f yet but the larger brewkits lil brown solar pump does the job ok.

ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Perhaps you can minimise any loss in hop utilisation by using the pump to recirculate the boil through the hop spider, if using a double walled tight nylon mesh grain bag keep an eye on the level in the bag and throttle back the flow as necessary, Ive not done this with the g/f yet but the larger brewkits lil brown solar pump does the job ok.

ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:49 pm

If hop spiders are bad why do we bag um up surly that does the same ?