Grainfather up scale

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
ash_a
Tippler

Grainfather up scale

Post by ash_a » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 am

Hi all!

I have a grain father and love the quality of the beer I'm brewing, but I would like to increase the capacity of the beer I make.

I tried increasing the grain on the last brew I did to concentrate the wort, then diluting to the correct OG, but only got 33l of beer.

I know you can get the 50l Braumister (a bit to expensive for me) and 50l klarstein (concern about quality), but I need a DIY project and was thinking of making a grainfather but bigger volume. 50 or 70l capacity.

The aim being is that I can brew a couple of standard beers to last me a few months, and use the grain father to play around with new brews.

My question is , is there any reason why the principles of how the grain father works, could not be up scaled to 50, 70 or 100l? I was think of using a 70l pot with a 50l pot as the grain basket, or a 100l with a 70l pot.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ash

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: Grainfather up scale

Post by chefgage » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:11 am

It can be done. There are a couple of threads on this forum where people have made their own one pot systems.

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:53 am

[quote="ash_a"]Hi all!

I have a grain father and love the quality of the beer I'm brewing, but I would like to increase the capacity of the beer I make.

I tried increasing the grain on the last brew I did to concentrate the wort, then diluting to the correct OG, but only got 33l of beer.

I know you can get the 50l Braumister (a bit to expensive for me) and 50l klarstein (concern about quality), but I need a DIY project and was thinking of making a grainfather but bigger volume. 50 or 70l capacity.

The aim being is that I can brew a couple of standard beers to last me a few months, and use the grain father to play around with new brews.

My question is , is there any reason why the principles of how the grain father works, could not be up scaled to 50, 70 or 100l? I was think of using a 70l pot with a 50l pot as the grain basket, or a 100l with a 70l pot.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ash[/quote]The bloke who sold me mine also sold me my BIAB set-up. He told me he does double batches by mashing into the GF then pumping to the PET boiler and does another mash and boil in the GF.

I've never tried it myself but it sounds simple enough and should only add an hour or so to the brewday.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:41 pm

this might give you a few ideas
viewtopic.php?t=79373

if i ever get chance to update the original thread, i’ve made some upgrades to it - hopefully i’ll get round to it soon
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale