Help - plug issues 20l braumeister

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Hodda
Steady Drinker

Help - plug issues 20l braumeister

Post by Hodda » Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Help - using the BM tonight for a brew - using it on a 3150w rated extension (another time I directly plugged it in before to a wall socket once and half way through socket started to crackle) though it was due to overheating maybe condensation runoff) so tonight using a different socket further away I had to use said extension unwound - basically the plug melted before boil between mash stage getting to boil.

Anyone had any issue like this? It states 2100w power

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Help - plug issues 20l braumeister

Post by Rhodesy » Mon May 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Are you definitely using a 13A fused plug with it? I use one with mine on an extension fully unwound with no issue.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Mon May 14, 2018 8:56 pm

sounds like the plugs an elcheapo,or been damaged in a badly fitting socket,try changing the plug for a decent make like MK
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Hodda
Steady Drinker

Post by Hodda » Mon May 14, 2018 9:10 pm

It was an extension from screwfix - can’t say it was dear but can’t say cheap either.

Are the 20l ok to use on a normal ring circuit (ie is washing machine isn’t on etc)

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 pm

I use mine with an extension lead. If I don't fully unwind it then it can get a bit warm t nowhere near melting anything and I have never heard crackles from the socket. If you as using the standard lead that came with the Braumeister may be you should get your house wiring checked.
Richard M
Cardiff

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Are the 20l ok to use on a normal ring circuit (ie is washing machine isn’t on etc)
yep.even with the washing machine on you shouldnt have an issue.The problem isnt down to dodgy house wiring,its down to a bad connection,either in the wiring of plug or between the plug and the socket.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Waffty » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 am

A domestic ring main is rated at 30A, so I suspect your issue is low grade wall sockets or as above connectivity issues. If you stick to Crabtree or MK, you want go far wrong. I had similar issues with my washing machine in my laundry, this was found to be 'cheap' socket and what I believe was excess moisture, from the tumble dryer ...

I have the 50L BM, so have put in a dedicated feed from the fuse box, topped off with a 16A 'commando' connector and 20A cable, the cable barely gets warm on a 90min boil.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Regarding the dodgy socket You've probably not got very good contact between plug and socket. Possibly the socket is old and the contacts are dulled, worn or maybe the wiring behind is not making good contact with the socket. Try a different socket and fix the offending socket by putting a new good quality one in. The Braumeister highlights this problem that probably just wouldn't show up with a device that only draws a little bit of power.

Regarding the extension lead, I be a bit dubious of a cheap extension lead. Again simlar problems, poor contact between plug and sockets causes heat, to the extent that the plug can melt in to the extension lead socket.

I bought a heavy duty kettle lead, rated to exceed 2100W etc to plug my Braumeister in to the wall (it came with an EU plug kettle lead). I bought a very high quality heavy duty extension lead that was only as long as I needed and was fitted with a very high quality plug and a single high quality socket. No issues. I run it from the kitchen out of the window in to the garden.