Electricity Load Question

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Electricity Load Question

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:05 pm

For the last few years, I've been using the Grainfather G30 with the Grainfather water heater heating sparge water while mashing in the G30 at the same time using a double outdoor socket. However, I'm now in rental accommodation for a couple of years with no outside socket.

Is the best way to continue to use the set up and not damage sockets etc to buy a couple of decent extention cables, plugged into different sockets in the lounge through the patio doors, or to plug one into the lounge and the other into the utility room?

The consumer unit is plastic and seems fairly modern. I'm aware that extension cables should always be fully unwound prior to use.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Electricity Load Question

Post by vacant » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:34 pm

Check the extension cables are 13 Amp as many are only 10. It's likely the lounge and utility room are on the same circuit but you can check that by flipping switches on the CU and seeing what goes off. Don't trust any labels. Same circuit should be fine for those two draws.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:45 pm

Thanks vacant

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:22 am

What Vacant said..

Yes different rooms ideally. Short as possible. Best quality 13 amp. Better still not windup jobbies just loose flex.

Landlords by law in the UK must have an electrical safety certificate, so the property should be upto date.

... Or a simple bathroom extractor to deal with the steam and brew indoors? :D :D

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:16 pm

Thanks

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:43 pm

Also keep the as short as possible.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel