Oak Barrels

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
JohnnyD

Oak Barrels

Post by JohnnyD » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:44 am

Good Morning All

Does anyone here store their wine in oak barrels? I was considering getting one of these Bulgarian barrles, but i would want to serve from the barrel, would it be airtight enough to stop the wine going off?

JD

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Oak Barrels

Post by MarkA » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:07 am

The problem with barrel ageing wine is that the barrel needs to breath and let in a very small amount of oxygen to mature the wine (which is a very slow form of oxidation). At some point, either a year or four depending on wine, it will need to be bottled to stop further oxidation from ruining the wine so I don't think it would be possible to serve directly from a barrel, unless you're able to drink the entire batch within a few weeks or so (not impossible, I know.....;-) ) before it's gone too far.

How big are the barrels you're thinking of using? The other consideration is that it will need to be full.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of 5 or 10L barrels, and the wine would be drunk within a year, its just to replace bottling and corking the wine, its messy and not very attrctive in used bottles etc, a nice 5L Oak barrel in the kitchen would be far easier and more attractive to pour a glass of wine from, and add to the flavour.

JD

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:27 pm

They sound like good sizes (I was thinking they'd be a lot bigger for some reason) and easy to drink in a short period :)

It sounds like it would certainly work, you could maybe mature them in the barrel for 9 months to a year (for a white) and drink them within a couple of months whilst it is at its prime. Keep us posted if you decide to give it a go!

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:43 pm

The main problem I can prempt is the constant pressure equalisation with me having to take the bung out regularly to let in air as the wine is drunk, will that oxidise the wine to much and ruin it ?

JD

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Well I have ordered a 10L one, so I'll keep you all in touch with oxidisation levels V speed of consumption :D

JD

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Nice one!

Opening the bung will create problems with oxidation, and could also allow infection in. It may be hard to clean as well, depending on opening size. Drink it quick and you'll be ok :-)

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:33 am

OK I am going to try this today, its a new oak barrel, do i need to steralise it do you think, i don't want the wood to retain the bleach smell, so i am tempted just to rinse with hot water ?

JD

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 am

There's a good article HERE Scroll down to 'New Barrel Preparation' It's talking about a beer barrel, but I would assume it's the same for wine