Slight fizz after stabaliser/finings

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
JohnnyD

Slight fizz after stabaliser/finings

Post by JohnnyD » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:03 pm

Good Afternoon

Quick question, this is my fourth wine kit now, but this one is still ever so slightly gassy still, not a lot, but some, enough for a tiny head on the edge of a glass, as its now ready for boxing, is there anything i can do, ie fill box from a height (will that introduce to much oxygen) its a red KenRidge kit ?

Thanks

JD

Geezah

Re: Slight fizz after stabaliser/finings

Post by Geezah » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Did you de gas the wine?

If its in demijohns, cap them and shake the buggery out of them, release the co2, allow to settle and repeat until there is no more co2.
If its in a fermenting bin transfer it to another from a height to release the co2 out of the wine. Repeat until there is no more co2.

You don't have to worry much about oxidising wine, it doesn't have the proteins like beer so will not cause any problems.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:25 am

I did degas manually ie with a long spoon and 2-3 agitates for 2 days after adding the stabaliser etc, it seems better today, lets see what its like tomorrow

Thanks

JD

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:25 pm

I've just bottled a six-bottle Merlot kit that I shook the life out of each day after adding the stabiliser, then left it for thirty seconds or so until the foam settled and cracked the bung on the demijohn. If there was a noticeable escape of gas or I could feel pressure on the cork, I repeated the process the next day. Took almost a week, but we got there in the end and I'm very happy with the end result, I have to say.

For larger fermenters I know you can get a degassing whip that fits in a power drill, but I'm not sure how to judge when you're done and there's no significant CO2 left to release.

James