Yeast experiments

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
lord.president
Hollow Legs

Yeast experiments

Post by lord.president » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:24 pm

For past 4-5 years I've been making the same wines- apple,bramble,elderberry, rosehip. I've always used Youngs Super Compound. This year, I'm going to try Lallemand D47 on some apple and rosehip and RC212 on thr bramble and the elderberry. I'm planning on also doing some 'control' with the Young's. Has anybody tried either of these yeasts?
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Yeast experiments

Post by 6470zzy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:29 pm

lord.president wrote:For past 4-5 years I've been making the same wines- apple,bramble,elderberry, rosehip. I've always used Youngs Super Compound. This year, I'm going to try Lallemand D47 on some apple and rosehip and RC212 on thr bramble and the elderberry. I'm planning on also doing some 'control' with the Young's. Has anybody tried either of these yeasts?
I have used D47 several times and it produces an excellent mouthfeel. For apple I prefer to use Red Star Cote des Blanc as I find that it leaves more of the apple essence. I just did a Graff with S-33 as I had it on hand and that turned out quite well also, the apple shone through nicely.

Cheers

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Yeast experiments

Post by oldbloke » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:18 pm

I've used RC212, but I can't rememebr much about it now. It worked, anyway!