Wine kit clearing

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
cammy
Sober

Wine kit clearing

Post by cammy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:17 pm

I have just done a cellar 7 merlot. Fermented it down to 996. Transfered it to another bin, degassed, added stabilizer and added first part of the finings. Now here's the problem, I forgot to add the second part of the finings until a day later and after 2 days isn't showing any signs of clearing. Can I just start again with a 2 part fining or is there another way.
Thanks in advance

HLA91
Steady Drinker

Re: Wine kit clearing

Post by HLA91 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:46 pm

When did you start it, when did you rack it provide some dates.
I don't have a great deal of experience with finings as most wines will clear on their own given time, but I wouldn't have thought 2 days would have harmed it, but like I said i'm no expert. I wouldn't rush into adding more finings quite yet. Give it a fortnight and then see what it's like.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 pm

do you want to drink it now? i really wouldn't worry as the wine will normally clear naturally way before it's at it's best for drinking. i just chuck that crap away so have no experience of it, but if its only been a couple of days i reckon its too early to panic :wink:
dazzled, doused in gin..

cammy
Sober

Post by cammy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:33 pm

This is probably my 6th cellar 7 kit and clearing is always well underway after less than 24 hrs and Crystal clear in 3 days. I've checked it today (3rd day) and its not even started to clear. I was thinking there must be a reason why the second part needs to be added after an hour and by delaying it to a day its missed the reaction time. Would starting again with a new 2 part fining pack work

HLA91
Steady Drinker

Post by HLA91 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Leave it alone I would. Pop it in a corner somewhere and forget about it. Come back to it in a few months time and see what it's like.
Get started making something else to take your mind off it.

Return to “Winemaking”