Magnum Medium Dry White - first attempt

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Magnum Medium Dry White - first attempt

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:45 pm

SquireKnott wrote:Instructions say 7-10 for fermentation - I'm on day 10 and the airlock is still bubbling.

Do I leave it?

Also, should I be putting the hydrometer in now or do I wait for any bubbling to stop?
If it's still bubbling, leave it alone.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

SquireKnott

Post by SquireKnott » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Not bad at all this for £17, especially after some of the looks of mirth I got in various brewshops when I said I was knocking some up.

:mrgreen:

Thanks to all who answered my stupid questions.

cellone

Post by cellone » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:24 am

Shroomy wrote:Have you tried these http://www.novatwist.com/uk/home.html for your screw top bottles ?
I have been told yto let it ferment out Maybe the temp is slightly lower there fore it will take longer :)
I wonder what their minimum order is?

Shroomy

Post by Shroomy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:41 am

cellone wrote:
Shroomy wrote:Have you tried these http://www.novatwist.com/uk/home.html for your screw top bottles ?
I have been told yto let it ferment out Maybe the temp is slightly lower there fore it will take longer :)
I wonder what their minimum order is?
Have sent you a message regarding these :)

SquireKnott

Post by SquireKnott » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:34 pm

I put a Pinot Grigio on frOm Magnums posh Ultimate range two weeks ago.

Hydrometer has it below 1.000 but it seems quite dark for a white wine.

It's not bubbling voluntarily but will if I put pressure on the lid - does this mean it's still fermenting?

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 pm

I use the plastic topped corks you can get in Wilko's. Saves fannying about with a corker and the resulting bottles slipping off the worktop. I also get some of the shrink caps if they're for showing or giving away. Works fine in screw topped bottles, though some of them are a little bit bigger than others and won't fit-try them first before cleaning and sterilising xx amount of bottles.

Just depends on what I can reach in the bottle bank.....
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

SquireKnott

Post by SquireKnott » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:06 pm

I've just bottled my third batch of this and this time there's loads of sediment. There seems to be more with the second batch than the first also.

To my knowledge I've done nothing differently.

Is there anything I can do to get rid now it's bottled?

TonyT40

Post by TonyT40 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Do you use any kind of filter when bottling? I use the Harris one and if you clamp the pie a bit so its not going through under pressure you get lovely sediment free bottles. I think wilkos have them in. they are about £20.

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Magnum wine kits, huh? I make these for the missus, ever since Asda stopped flogging pure-pressed white grape juice. Hope that's just a seasonal phenomenon and they start with it again soon - could make 24 bottles of pretty good stuff for about £12. Anyway, Magnums... in my experience you have to leave them for a good 3 or 4 days after fermentation appears to have completely,totally stopped before you proceed any further, or they'll never clear. Have patience at this stage and an FV -full will be starbright within a week. Maybe all wine kits are the same? The missus doesn't care - she'll sup any cloudy ol' gunk as long as the alcohol is there, but I like to get it right, y'know? Got a Wilko 'Chardonnay' kit just before Xmas, only 'cos we happened to be in there and thought we'd give one a go. Cost five quid more than the Magnum but the less said about it the better - but that too turned out as clear as a vacuum.