Using a Juicer for wine making

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
BrewHouse

Using a Juicer for wine making

Post by BrewHouse » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:31 am

During one of our frequent (but usually short lived) health kicks, we recently purchased a masticating juicer. It is absolutely fantastic at producing high quality juice from almost anything you feed into it and I would love to hear if anyone has had any experience of making wine with this kind of juicer. In particular, I am currently over-run with rhubarb and was considering cutting out the usual first stage of covering with sugar to extract the juice and just passing it all through the juicer.
I did this earlier on in the year with beetroot and, although it is very early days, it seems to have worked well so far. Anyone with any experience of this?

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Using a Juicer for wine making

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:34 pm

Only a whole fruit juicer, with apples. Not really good at some fruits. It just clogged up the mesh.. But your masticating should do the job, a very fine job. Like my jucer it was painfully slow 1apple at a time.

You may still have to add pectolase for those pectins rich types of fruit. I did add it to the juce of the apples, and I think it helped a bit
To Busy To Add,

BrewHouse

Post by BrewHouse » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:19 am

Thanks for your thoughts WD. By the lack of comments I assume that not many people have experimented with a masticating juicer. I will plough ahead and make up a few DJs and see how they turn out.

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Let us know how you get on, Brewhouse. It's something I've considered in the past but haven't tried yet, it's got to be easier than mashing fruit up and straining afterwards!

mshergold

Post by mshergold » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:11 pm

I once juiced around 30 kilos of pears over two or three days using a good quality Moulinex (I think) juicer.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:59 am

Yeh, my cooksworks whole fruit jucer made another 70lt of cider this yr. it wrorked hard again 3rd yr., not sure it will take another bashing. As It did puff a bit of that magic smoke again.
I never got round to making a scratter earlier in the yr, but it will be ready for next yr as I only now have to make a hopper/cute now. I tested the milling/scratting part, on a few of the last of the black dabenet on the trees.
To Busy To Add,