Selection International Rioja. Thin with no body. Any advice

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
timtoos
Piss Artist

Selection International Rioja. Thin with no body. Any advice

Post by timtoos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi all,

Bit of advice please.

I made a wine Selection wine Rioja kit (BBE was Jun16 so well in date) last year (started 16/3/15) and I made to the instructions. The OG was 1.086

The wine was fermented @ 22.7C (instructions suggest 22-24C). The wine was transferred to secondary carboy 23/3/15 and degassed on 2/4/15 using a vacuum pump (topped up with a few bought bottles of wine so the volume was safe to degas).

I fined the wine on 10/4/15 with the included agents and then filtered using a Buon Vino pump filter on the 25/4/15. I think I filtered with both no2 and 3 pads but cannot remember, definitely no2 though. After filtering I added potassium metabisulphite as per the kit instructions.

The FG was 0.992, ABV: 12.5%

The wine was then left and bottled 16/5/15 and fitted with the plastic tamper proof caps. It was then stored in a perfect cellar at my in-laws.

I left the wine 6 months before opening and sampling a bottle. I wasn't impressed. It tasted thin, lacking in body. Tasted like a kit wine.

I have done a few whites and have always been happy with the results. I have also done a Beaverdale merlot (much cheaper kit) and even that was better (didn't filter that though)

Can you guys advise? Everyone comments about the whites been great, however when I left a bottle of this out at a party I was a bit miffed that a glass was only half drank.

Obviously this is an expensive kit and I am now loathed to even bother trying anymore Reds. If I have done something obviously wrong then so be it but I followed the same procedure that I always do.

Madaboutwines

Re: Selection International Rioja. Thin with no body. Any ad

Post by Madaboutwines » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Last edited by Madaboutwines on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:43 pm

so you searched the net for your own product? please get a grip and stop your blatant advertising and very misleading posts

Spitting-Feathers Homebrew Centres Bolton & Wigan
Postby Madaboutwines » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:49 am

Hi All,
We are now sole importers and distributors of the new Mosti Mondiale wine kits from Canada. Please do take the time check them out.
Thanks

Subhash

http://www.spitting-feathers.co.uk/

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:22 pm

He probably meant to post using his other sock puppet.

James

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:18 pm

I prefer not to filter my wines, but I'm not convinced that's the issue in this case.

The Tempranillo grape doesn't have to give a big mouth feel in my experience, though I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it of many Riojas. Some of that might be down to long ageing in oak though -- remember a "Gran Reserva" Rioja is at least five years old, with a minimum of two in the barrel and it's not that uncommon to see even older ones. That may be something you just can't duplicate unless you can bulk age in the same way. Oak "chips" in the fermenter can help, but I don't think it really gets you that close.

Perhaps it's worth trying a few of the other one gallon Beaverdale (or similar) red kits to see how they compare? I think they do a Tempranillo-based kit, but as a blend rather than single variety. I'd be quite interested in a single-variety kit myself, but where possible I try to find a one gallon kit first and see how that works before committing myself to a larger batch.

Also perhaps comparing with a commercial Crianza Rioja might be helpful. That's probably much closer to the wine you have in terms of age etc.

James

Madaboutwines

Post by Madaboutwines » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:51 am

Last edited by Madaboutwines on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Not made that particular wine, so difficult to comment. However I would look at the filtering. You are taking the tannins out by filtering and as such you will end up with a thinner tasting wine. I have never found the need to filter my red wines, and always use two part finings, which is what most kits come with. Even that will reduce the tannins, so you have double tannin removal going on. Fine in a white but not good in most red wines.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Madaboutwines wrote:Yes, I searched for alternative products and found MM. They have since become our imported products - Sorry for the confusion.
As for the problem(s) your having well my own customers had the very same problem(s) and that's what prompted us to look elsewhere and find an alternative.
I'm only making you aware of the alternative products but, the choice is yours at the end of the day.

Many Thanks
The fact that you didn't make that clear in your first post will adversely affect your recommendation.