A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
gassman

Best Kit Red

Post by gassman » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:17 am

What in peoples opinion is the best full bodied kit red wine

Horden Hillbilly

Re: Best Kit Red

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:56 pm

I usually go for one of these, not particularly cheap, but worth every penny imo.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Horden Hillbilly wrote:I usually go for one of these, not particularly cheap, but worth every penny imo.

And free postage included =D> Not a bad deal.
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

gassman

Post by gassman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks for the reply

I have bought a few of these http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/wine/wine- ... -superior/ but looks like they are no longer doing the Barolo but the Merlot is spot on

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:41 am

Don't waste money on kits. 3ltrs Don Simon Spanish 100% red grape juice, 700g sugar, bit of nutrient and a pack of yeast. Considerably less than a fiver for the lot and you're laughing.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Capped wrote:Don't waste money on kits. 3ltrs Don Simon Spanish 100% red grape juice, 700g sugar, bit of nutrient and a pack of yeast. Considerably less than a fiver for the lot and you're laughing.
What kind off red does this turn out and where do you usually buy the grape juice from for a decent deal?
Also what about sulphites (?) That are usually added for long term storage/aging?
Apologies if these seem silly questions but just thinking about trying my first wine Image

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:58 pm

I got the last lot from Asda, they'd got an offer of 3 for 3 quid. I'm no wine buff by any means but it makes a really decent drop, though I'm not qualified to liken it to any style. I added too much sugar (900g) to the first batch and had it fermented to dryness (unlikely) it would've ended up over 15% alc, so I diluted it accordingly. 700g is about right. I like to keep things simple so it gets the same post-ferment treatment as any other wine I make - a dose of sulphite and sorbate straight into the fermenter, leave for 3 or 4 days then rack and fine. Job done. Those of a more discerning palate will frown at my approach but to be honest, after 2 or 3 glasses you wouldn't be able to tell it from a posh varietal costing 20 quid or so :D .