Wine bottles.

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Shanec
Sober

Wine bottles.

Post by Shanec » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:53 am

My earlier post tells that I am new to this ( and excited ). Still in the process of collecting wine bottles for my first kit. Am I able to use corks in a bottle that originally has a screw top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Wine bottles.

Post by oldbloke » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:45 am

Screwtop bottles are sometimes a different internal diameter so you may have problems with the fit, and the glass tends to be thinner so there's some risk of breakage.
It's usually possible to re-use the original screwtops a couple of times, or you can buy replacement ones.

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:08 pm

I use the plastic topped corks. Far easier then ramming them in with a corker. As above, some bottles fit and others are too big,if you live near a supermarket with a bottle bank,you get to know which ones do and don't.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

Shanec
Sober

Wine bottles.

Post by Shanec » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Not sure of the corks that you mean. Do you use these in bottles that originally had screw tops also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:53 pm

Yes. It's a cork,but with a plastic stopper on the top. I've used real corks with a corker and plastic corks, but personally prefer these.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly