oversweet apple wine

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
rick1955

oversweet apple wine

Post by rick1955 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi,i brewed some apple wine about 2 years ago following a recipe from CJJ Berry ,all was fine, it cleared lovely so racked it into 2 x 5 gallon pressure barrels. there it has sat in the corner of my garage. when i came to taste it ,it was really sweet ,like 030s.g sweet , any idea's what i could do with it, seems a shame to waste 10 gallon of wine. kindest regards. Rick .

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: oversweet apple wine

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:41 am

What yeast did you use, or was it the natural yeast on the fruit?,,If it's that sweet, you could add some yeast nutrient and some sparkling wine yeast to one of them. That will/should dry it out, more than a nuns bun.... Once it's finished, I'd blend it with the other, to get your required sweetness,
I think oldbloke is really the guy to get the answers from

Oh and before I go... , I see its your first post.......Welcome to Jim's. Why not drop in to the new members bit and say hi and where you from etc.
Cheers
To Busy To Add,

Chug

Post by Chug » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:08 am

Cecil Berry's recipes are known for having lots of sugar, he used to rack lots of times and add more water, Wonky's suggestion to add more yeast/nutrient and when finished to dry blend with the rest is what I would do.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Agreed CJJB famous for too much sugar.
If you didn't use stabilising chemicals, more yeast and nutrient - maybe a high alcohol yeast if the original died because of the ABV, or you could dilute a bit for a normal yeast.
If you did stabilise, new yeast may still work since the chemistry was so long ago but make up a vigorous starter rather than just chucking it in; otherwise then blending with something really dry is about it I think

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 pm

another option is to make up a basic apple wine with apple juice from the supermarket and blend the two together to get something more to your taste. shop bought carton juice makes a nice apple wine...

I doubt it would restart with more yeast in if its a finished fermentation rather than one stuck half way through but it might work.

rick1955

Post by rick1955 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks you all for the advice , i think i'll do 5 gallons as Danbrew suggests and the other 5 gallons as oldbloke suggests, i will let you know how i got on , again many thanks to you all.