Dangerous chemicals in grapefruit

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Chateau Wines L.S.

Dangerous chemicals in grapefruit

Post by Chateau Wines L.S. » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Grapefruit contains high levels of furanocoumarins which are extremely dangerous to people on certain types of Statins.
One grapefruit increases the effective level of medication to the same as taking ten tablets in one go which can cause liver failure besides anything else.
Question: does anyone have any idea of the fermentation process removes these chemicals? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere but the wife is playing it safe - more for me!

I have 20 kilos of high grade mixed wild bird seed, any suggested recipes?!!!!!! lol

Had a good start to the year so far, on the go and looking good (and tasting good those I have racked):-

1 gallon - Blackberry } The last of last years picking.
1 gallon - Blackberry & Elderberry }
1 gallon - Rice & Raisin
2 gallon - Elderflower
1 gallon - Nectarine
1 gallon - Grapefruit
Banana going on this week. Then going to try a couple of red Wow's but still remain to be convinced?

Last year didn't get so many done as was house moving, then decorating etc. So only managed Blackberry based.
The Blackberry on it's own is a superb medium bodied red, as good as any supermarket red wine to about £5 =D>
The Blackberry & Elderberry is a very heavy full bodied high alcohol wine. Bit like a high tanin Syrah. Definite headache job. :out Less Elderberry needed this year I think.

Crastney
Steady Drinker

Re: Dangerous chemicals in grapefruit

Post by Crastney » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 am

no idea about the grapefruit I'm afraid, but my advice for the bird seed is to buy a bird feeder, and feed the birds.
I can't imagine you'd know the exact percentages of each grain, so making a beer would be hit and miss, and surely it can't be the cheapest way of getting grain? (unless it was free...)

woblylegs
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by woblylegs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:11 am

Eric made beer with bird seed.
i kid you not.
lifes what you make it!

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:57 pm

I've seen the warnings about eating grapefruit and taking some med's,
How ever... It don't seems make any diffrence to me, but if I have to take med's that stat "do not take med's if you have eaten the said fruit" then I eat other fuit.. :=P
Simples,,,and simple for a reason. ....interactions...
To Busy To Add,

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Don't know. What I can tell you is that the Grapefruit IPA I made as a clone of Brewdog Elvis juice made me feel wierd to the extent that I ditched the end of the batch. I've not noticed any issues when drinking real elvis juice though so maybe there was something else going on with my batch!