nice cheep drinking wine.

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
avtovaz

nice cheep drinking wine.

Post by avtovaz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 pm

ive kinda started drinking a bit again, i know itll pass, but i want to brew myself a cheep wine that i can make myself. I have brewed wine out of grape fruit juice and apple juice, but i want ot brew it at 20 ltrs.

I have an idea of a rose maybe using ribena... Any pointers please?

thankyou

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: nice cheep drinking wine.

Post by oldbloke » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:16 pm

The grape juice+apple juice recipe works well, I'd just scale it up.
You may be able to find Ribena without sorbates, but if not it needs treating or it won't ferment. Reports on that are a bit hit and miss. Other blackcurrant based juices are available.

avtovaz

Post by avtovaz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:16 pm

can you give me a recapie then to try please? Or point me to one? Thankyou!

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:18 pm

The attached link makes a wonderful and cheap gallon of wine, its a very versatile recipe, just change the ingredient juices to make different wines. Its known as WOW for obvious reasons and is pretty well known on most forums.
http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/yabb2/Y ... 18971587/0

avtovaz

Post by avtovaz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 pm

right thankyou! I will give that a try and x4 in my fermenter.

One thing i think i always did wrong before when i bought the beaverdale kits, i used to leave it for maybe a week after it stopped fermenting, then put it into a big barrel and drink it. So maybe why it was so dry!

So, if i was to do a kit again, id wait till it got to 1000, then add the potasium sorbate! i always thought it would keep fermenting if i racked it into the barrel.

If that is so , is that right for beer kits too?

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 am

avtovaz wrote:
If that is so , is that right for beer kits too?
I never stop my beer brews, they naturally stop at an SG which is good for the yeast used. Some folk do add Gelatine and other potions to stop/clear their beers. My approach is to apply a little patience and pay attention to the 3 day rule, if the SG remains the same for 3 days, the beer is ready to bottle/keg.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:27 am

avtovaz wrote:can you give me a recapie then to try please? Or point me to one? Thankyou!
oh soz you said grapefruit not grape. thought you had the recipe already. This is what I have, though I've not actually made it myself:

1 litre Apple Juice; 1 Litre white grape juice; 800g Sugar; 1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea; 1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super yeast); 1 tsp Nutrient; 1 tsp Pectolase; 1 tsp Glycerene.

Personally I'd probably use 2l of each of the juices, for extra flavour. That'd get the sugars nearer to the 15% I happen to like. A bit over, probably - check the packs - I like about 1.2kg total sugar per gallon
I suspect the pectolase is redundant

avtovaz

Post by avtovaz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:48 pm

right thankyou again! I was just after a cheep wine to make this weekend, and ill maybe try both!

If i do, ill post some pics of what it turns out like! Ive learned from this now, thankyou.