Which book on brewing cider is best

A forum for cider makers
afp71

Which book on brewing cider is best

Post by afp71 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi everyone, I was wondering what are your recommendations for books for the beginner cider brewer as there are so many available. Any suggestions are welcome as it seems to be a bit of a minefield over which book to go for.
Many thanks Adam.

afp71

Re: Which book on brewing cider is best

Post by afp71 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:15 pm

Oh and I'm using kits at the moment as I don't have the ability to press apples.

Shroomy

Post by Shroomy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm

I must say the lesson i learnt the otherday was to READ the instructions that come with the kit
The reasoning behind this was the companies that produce the kits are constantly trying thier kits and making the improvements from customer responses etc
There is not much more you can do to the kits as a beginer like me :) But as you go on and read lots on the forums and web in genral you gain knowledge which you can use later . I know this does not help with your book sorry

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:20 pm

All the cider books are about making it from apples. The only one I have is Andrew Lea's 'Craft Cider Making' which I think is rather good.
Using kits, as said: read the instructions and follow them EXCEPT maybe allow more time for each stage than they suggest (true for all kits, not just cider)

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Andrew leas website cider.org.UK has loads of info on it....

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 am

Yeh, there's not much in the book that isn't on his site. Nice to have it on real paper though. OTOH, I got my copy in a p&p-only deal from Home Farmer.

Crastney
Steady Drinker

Post by Crastney » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:19 pm

Pooley and Lomax - Real Cider Making on a small scale (or something like that)

it's about making real cider from apples, but if you read it all, it'll give you a great understanding of the processes involved, and the reasons why we do certain things. This will help when you're doing kit brews, or Turbo Cider from carton/supermarket apple juice.

and you'll realise why the addition of tannin, and malic acid can help too.

I would imagine if you get into it that you'll eventually try at least once to juice your own apples, and if you're successful, you'll probably do it again, so knowledge is power.

charlespe

Post by charlespe » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:52 am

"The New Cider Maker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for Craft Producers" by Claude Jolicoeur is a book you must read