forest fruit cider

A forum for cider makers
rosiepen

forest fruit cider

Post by rosiepen » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:34 am

Hi I am still pretty new to homebrew I am making my second batch of forest fruit cider, kit form. Can I add blackcurrant at the start to add more flavour. I would be grateful for any advice.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: forest fruit cider

Post by WalesAles » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:26 am

rosiepen wrote:Hi I am still pretty new to homebrew I am making my second batch of forest fruit cider, kit form. Can I add blackcurrant at the start to add more flavour. I would be grateful for any advice.
Hello rosie,
Try using a Polish Blackcurrant syrup. Great for TC. Look in `Other Brews` thread, `Cheap and Tasty Raspberryade` to see what the bottle looks like. Most Supermarkets do it, or try your local Polish Shop. They normally stock about 6 - 7 different varieties and they are all Tasty!
WA

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:03 pm

The Polish syrup will up your ABV quite a bit.
If you just want flavour, use Ribena - at the end coz of the preservatives (or try to boil them off)

rosiepen

Post by rosiepen » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks for this. I will definitely try this I have another batch on the go. Do they do strawberry syrup. If so could this be added to wine as well. Many thanks. Sounds perfect -Linda

rosiepen

Post by rosiepen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:05 pm

Thanking you for the idea of adding fruit syrup. I have found a really easy recipe to make strawberry syrup just adding this now I will keep you posted.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:20 pm

rosiepen wrote:Thanking you for the idea of adding fruit syrup. I have found a really easy recipe to make strawberry syrup just adding this now I will keep you posted.
Hello rp,
If you are going to try Turbo Cider (TC), as well, read the post `Cider` by Francois, there is a great post in there (2nd post down) from `Oldbloke`.
Very informative for new brewers!
WA